Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need plant suggestions

Posted by msbatt 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 10, 09 at 15:28

I've recently moved, and my new lawn has a large boggy area. This past summer it stayed wet all summer long, but we did have an unusually wet summer. However, neighbors tell me this area is ALWAYS wet in the winter months, often with standing water.

I need suggestions on plants that will thrive under such conditions, and can also take some dryer conditions during the hottest months. Currently there are a lot of those yellow iris growing there, and a cypress tree. I don't want to remove either of these, just add to the mix.

The are gets quite a bit of direct sun, both morning and afternoon---mostly a south-southwestern exposure.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need plant suggestions

• Posted by tesa001 z8 plantersville tx (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 29, 10 at 17:43

greetings, i'm actually considering keeping a boggy area
in my yard as well, and have been researching your
exact conditions

maby water forget-me-nots

bog sage

lobelia cardinalis, thats doing GREAT for me in a very wet condition, but i think too much shade, so i plan to move
it come spring

rain lilly

oxblood lilly

joe pye weed

.........sorry, i could go on, and on

those are some of the things i'm looking at for my area,
but i've got a shady area too and i'm looking at some ferns
that can take boggy conditions for most of the year

keep us posted!!

tesa

o
RE: Need plant suggestions

Ooh---what ferns will do well in those conditions? I do have some deep shade under the cypress tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here