Return to the Book Reviews Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for book recommendations - garden, landscaping

Posted by benjohnson 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 4, 11 at 0:24

Hi all. My wife and I purchased a farmhouse on a 3/4 acre lot a year ago. The yard is a mess - we had weeds eight feet tall in parts of the back yard last summer (we were concentrating on major rehab on the inside). I want to start getting the yard in shape - I have a location roughed out for a vegetable garden and have started the 'lasagna' method to be ready for spring. We also plan to build a small movable chicken coop for a few chickens. I'd like to know if you have book recommendations for ways to logically plan the various spaces as well as start landscaping the front yard, etc. My library has a lot of books, but I'd love to start with books that I know you guys would recommend. If you have suggestions, please post them and thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for book recommendations - garden, landscaping

Ben, we moved into an old "abandoned" farmstead years ago and gradually built and reclaimed the area.
try to find old issues of Mother Earth News. It has tons of ideas and great info.
Also a regional garden guide for your area will help.
Try to make friends with your County Extension agent.
I plagued mine with tons of questions as the new place was 2 zones warmer than I was used too. Get Id's on plants you don't recognize and recommendations on veggie varieties that do well in your area.
Go slow with clearing cleaning and tearing up as you may discover some terrific old plants, Rhubarb, daffodils, Mock orange, forsythia etc. It is an adventure to be cherished and enjoyed.
I like the book Gardening with Heirloom plants and, another, Heirloom Herbs.
You should be able to find used copies pretty cheap.
Have fun!!!!

o
RE: Looking for book recommendations - garden, landscaping

My gardening bible is "The Greenthumb Garden Handbook" by Doc and Katy Abraham. They used to have a gardening show on PBS years ago, back in Roch, NY. They lived in the Finger Lakes region of New York State. We moved to CO 12 years ago, and it is still relevant to our area. They offer organic as well as chemical solutions for all kinds of gardening, from landscaping to container gardening, vegetables, flowers; easy to follow instructions, seed starting, culture, Etc; indoor and outdoor plants. They also wrote several other, more specific books on gardening. You should be able to find used copies at great prices. I suggest www.betterworldbooks.com, as they donate a portion of all sales to world literacy programs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Book Reviews Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here