Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
disgruntledinseatte

Not worth it!

I am so disappointed and angry at the so called exciting National Home Gardening Club. I paid my dues and they turned my name into a collection agency for non payment . I continuously informed them I have a cancelled check as proof and once again I get another collection notice. Are these people for real? I have requested my money back and will never join anything by mail again. Why join and be scammed by a company when you can go to a local business and buy whatever you want. I probably will receive more collection notices before this fiasco is overÂÂÂ.Disgruntled in Seattle

Comments (11)

• socks
    18 years ago

That's terrible. Hope you can get it all settled soon.

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    18 years ago

They are horrible! When I got their first mailing in about 1998, they didnt say what membership included, and gave no contact info. It sounded very fishy, so I "filed it under G". I've gotten all I need right here at GW! Where else can you share garden knowledge with others and hear about the latest and newest things in gardening? GW!

• oldherb
    17 years ago

I used to have a subscription also. I have found with anything anymore that I must keep a clear paper trail to protect myself. Many companies are using collections companies these days...not just this one. I think it's become quite difficult for the magazine publishers these days with all the info we can access on line. I'm so thankful for GW and everyone who makes this place such fun.

If NHG contacts you again just mail them a copy of your cancelled check...that should fix things.

I buy most of my magazines at book stores now instead of getting them in the mail anyway. Too many missing copies and other irritations like what you are experiencing.

• sotexas
    17 years ago

If your check was sent via USPS, go to the USPS website and find the Fraud webpage. File a fraud complaint!
    Also find the BBB website of the city of the 'Club' and lay a complaint.
    Lastly, file a complaint with the Attorney General's office of the Club's state.

• grandmascuttings
    17 years ago

sorry disgruntled, i too have a membership there, and am fairly happy with it. not as large as here, but i have already made a few friends there and done some seed swaps/sase. they do have some problems with the site, but so has this one. i have found that they are very receptive to calls and emails. give them a chance, im sure you can/will work it out. chris

• joeygirlz51
    16 years ago

Back in May I sent a check to the NHGC for $24. I recently discovered I should have only paid $12.00. I have been plagued by repeated requests for more money..they say I didn't pay my dues...bologna! I sent them a letter stating that I had paid my dues and sent them a copy of the check with the back as proof that they cashed the check. Then Today I got two cards one saying that they apologize but due to missing information they can't process my request and they have canceled my membership. Which means no more NHGC magazines for me! I am getting products to test from them though and hard cover books which I can of course return if I want. I like their products but this fudging up is really annoying. I've been trying to call them...but guess what...the line is constantly busy!

• jayokie
    16 years ago

This is my first time to read here - wow! what a mess some of your are having. Joey, contact an area TV station. In my area the tv stations have a program (for lack of a better term) where they investigate for viewers. They've helped a lot of people with problems like this. Also, file complaints with the BBB, Post office, & anyone else you can think of. Good luck!!

• kelboindy
    16 years ago

You wont find a better gardening club than this one of course, and Daves Garden, check it out.

• cydriasgarden
    16 years ago

Oh Boy..What a mess! Be forewarned, collection agencies, will resell the accounts when they find out the original account was payed. I went thru this with a Health club Years ago..1980~ I am still getting collection notices from them! I finally got a lawyer to deal with it, I did have to pay about $200.00 but it won't go on my credit report. Plus if the company is still in business, you can sue them for stress and money paid out to stop the madness. Unfortunitly the health club that I originally started with this insanity, is bankrupt. Good luck, and keep records of all the collection agencies used. AND DON"T LOSE THAT CHECK! LOL

• cacye
    16 years ago

Gads. I have never joined them, and now I'm glad I didn't. I get all the garden info I need online, and except for orchids, I don't buy any garden books anymore.

• roseyp8255
    15 years ago

OMG what a nightmare. i actually did join - years ago - lifetime - and LOVE the magazine. I like to read magazines at bedtime. i have been planning to go back and check the website out again, last time i went, it was having massive problems.

i will have to keep that info in mind on collection agencies. of course, thank goodness, no problems so far - i do occasionally forget to pay a lab fee lol (those big $3.00 bills).....

Sponsored