Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houndgardnertam

Please Recommend

Houndgardnertam
21 years ago

I need a book or magazines that tell me when and how much to cut back my perennials. I have things like hollyhocks, musk mallow, butterfly bushes, coneflowers, astilbe...and I'm not sure when or how far to cut them down. Thanks, Tammy

Comments (4)

• sophieruth
    21 years ago

Hi Tammy,
    I can wholeheartedly recommend the book by Tracy DiSabato-Aust "The Well-tended Perennial Garden. Planting and pruning techniques" It was published by Timber Press in 1998.If only I could get around to do all the things she is recommending... Sophie

• oldherb
    21 years ago

Ditto!!! "The Well Tended Perennial Garden" is the best book I have ever seen on the subject of perennial pruning. She did here thesis work on the subject in college so she knows what she's taking about. Take it from a gardening book junkie...it's the best $$$ you will spend. (Anything by Timber Press is usually excellent.)

• marilou
    20 years ago

I agree also! If there's one book I wish I'd had ten years ago, this is it. This is a book I use, and use, and use, and use!

• Into_the_woods
    20 years ago

There's also Caring for Perennials by Janet Makunovich. It tells you what's important to do now, what's nice if you can do it now, and even how long it should take you to care for a garden of a certain size, month by month by month.

Sponsored
Pioneers Kitchen and Bath LLC.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Loudoun County's Professional Kitchen & Bath Remodelers