Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheryl_il

WANTED: Success With House Plants

Cheryl_IL
22 years ago

I bought this book from a garage sale. It's a thick cardboard 2-ring binder that came with pruning shears. It looks like the kind of thing that someone subscribed to and got more inserts regularly - either through the mail or from a local store (like the old recipe cards).

It's fabulous - each insert has such complete information! There are sections for different groups of plants (seasonal, palms, ferns, etc.) But it doesn't have all the inserts and I'd like to find them.

The big problem is that it has no publisher, no company name - nothing! Has anyone ever heard of this?

Comments (69)

• Monkey63
    13 years ago

i myself like you also have one of those binders and cards, i got it through the mail. i got 1 packet every few months.i wasnt able to get the whole set though so i am also looking for the rest of inserts cards.

• victor62
    12 years ago

lets trade cards vv523@aol.com

• victor62
    11 years ago

aflowerluv E-mail me i have some pages to trade!

vv523@aol.com

• randarand97
    10 years ago

I just bought a set at my libraries used book sale. There are actually six binders in the set and I agree they are very useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: ÙÙ٠اثاث باÙÙدÙÙØ© اÙÙÙÙرة

• PRO
    Northwest Custom Curbing
    10 years ago

Logged on to find publisher too, would like to complete set, see that is going to be a challenge! It looks like I am about half way through the set, very interested in people that may have located or have the second half?? Thankful for help!

• horsecrazeegal
    9 years ago

I have several of these binders and have extra cards that I would be willing to trade for cards that I don't have. Anyone willing to do some swapping?

• queen_gardener
    9 years ago

sounds like I need this set . . . too bad it's not being re-issued. Maybe if each one of us sent a message to the publisher, they might get the hint . . . .

• horsecrazeegal
    9 years ago

I have 2 full binders of cards that are extras that I am willing to trade. I am so close to having a full set. Please message me or email at BarLRanch@hotmail.ca if you want to trade some cards.

• PRO
    Hill's Cash Store
    8 years ago

I have a set of four binders of these cards along with a copy of The Reader's Digest Success with House Plants in like new condition.

I have flipped through the binders and am missing 19, 22, 99, 102, 150, 307, 333, 587, 707, 710, 771, 772, 773, 774, 775, 776, 777, 778, 788, 789, 790, 791, 792, 793, 794, 795, 796.

The last card in the set of binders is 796A and would be missing any issued after.

Also have Customer's Guide and the Plant Care Index.

I am located near Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada and am open to any offers to purchase the complete set. Buyer would also pay plus shipping costs.

Message me or send your offers to hillscashstore@gmail.com

Thank you!

• Chelle Kelly
    8 years ago

I'm looking for an index the ones I have seen or found are not matches up to the collection thanks

• kalsang_childs
    8 years ago

I have the complete collection. The last page number is 972. I have collected the set myself for many years and they have given me a lot of joy. Do you want me to send you the picture of the index?

• sgturner1398
    7 years ago

Does anyone on here still have the complete set of cards for the Success With House Plants or individual cards for sale or trade? If yes, please email me at sgturner1398@gmail.com.

• Tina Nelson
    6 years ago

Hi, did u ever find more of those gardening books u were looking for? I see your original post was from 2002! I was just Googling as I have 5 volumes to sell. I can't find out how many pages they offered. (Success With House Plants)

Tina

• PRO
    Northwest Custom Curbing
    6 years ago

You have 5 that sounds like it could be the whole set, I have about half the set, its hard to tell as it came in monthly sets of pages. Where are you and how much do you think you would be asking for them? I don't need them but would be nice to have; I'm don't have much to spend on them at this time though.

• horsecrazeegal
    6 years ago

I am still interested in trading cards. I have 2 binders of duplicate cards. Anyone interested?

• judyhippy
    5 years ago

Hello all, I would like an index or picture or scan of the index cards that came with the set if anyone can help. These are the best!

Happy gardening-Judy

• HU-645185503
    5 years ago

Hello

Here is the index you are looking for.

Enjoy.

• HU-645185503
    5 years ago

My collection and not for sale.

• judyhippy
    5 years ago

Thank you so much. I thought it may be a list of the individual plants with their page numbers. Your binders are a little different. Neat.

Thanks-Judy

• HU-645185503
    5 years ago

I collected the lot myself and completed the collection. I even got a letter from the publisher congratulating me on completing the collection. There was no index of individual flowers/plant that you are talking about. It would be good to have index of individual plants.

• judyhippy
    5 years ago

I am making one. In Excel by botanical name, common name, family, and grouping in the binder. I can share when completed.

• PRO
    Northwest Custom Curbing
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hello to the newest comment who just picked up a Success with Houseplants. It has been out of publish for years, however, the best bet to complete the set is keep and eye out at second hand stores, garage sales, and I found one almost complete one at a library book sale. Yes, they are the best collection! love these little binders with all the info you need and almost any house plant you may have. Good luck collecting more of them!

• HU-854098666
    4 years ago

Does anyone have a count of how many initial number pages there are? I've seen 972, 1000, 1152. How many letter pages(a,b,c,d)? Did they make a,b,c,d for every page? Just trying to see how many I'm missing. My last page is 819. Thanks!

• margaret webber
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have the 6 binder set for sale. I'm in Canada. I have just finished comparing the pages to the index and there are 51 pages missing. Please contact if interested.

Here's where to find a complete index: http://freepdfhosting.com/610dbb3310.pdf

• HU-854098666
    4 years ago

So I bought what I was told was a complete set, unfortunately it's missing over 350 cards. That being said I am looking for someone that has extras to sell or trade (I have many duplicates). If you have duplicates you would like to sell or know someone that does please email me at aliras1217@gmail.com with a list of your extras or I can send you a list of the ones I'm missing. Thanks so much!!

• mckenzie77
    4 years ago

I have a complete set available, 6 volumes in three ring binders, all 19 groups, 846 cards. The set is in excellent condition. I am open to offers and can be reached at balazsd@telus.net. I live in Calgary, Alberta Canada and can arrange to ship them to you.

• Andrea M
    4 years ago

I am resident in the UK and have a complete, virtually unused set that I am willing to sell. I’m open to offers! ajcbus@hotmail.com

• PRO
    Ba776
    3 years ago

Trying to contact this person HU645185503, about index card 9. I would like to know how many cards are there in this section and if possible what the numbers on the cards are. Thanks

• HU-645185503
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

The index number 9 has pages numbered from 463 to 480. Hope this is helpful.

• PRO
    Ba776
    3 years ago

Thanks. This is very helpful.

• mckenzie77
    3 years ago

I have a complete set available, 6 volumes in three ring binders, all 19 groups, 846 cards. The set is in excellent condition. I am open to offers and can be reached at balazsd@telus.net. I live in Calgary, Alberta Canada and can arrange to ship them to you

• HU-637005388
    3 years ago

ok so i am a little confused. I too was told by the company that my collection was completed after so many years. But I have 7 ( 2 ring ) binders 19 groups and my last card is 814. Now some of the cards are marked eg. 793, 793A, 793B. I have no missing # unless they are in with the A and Bs. So how do I know if I am actually missing any?

• mckenzie77
    3 years ago

Sorry I really don't know. I have 6 binders, 19 groups, 846 cards. Brand new condition. In my set I have 793 and 793A but no B. I am selling them for $50 CAD plus shipping if your are interested.

• PRO
    Ba776
    3 years ago

To HU645185503, I wonder if you could help me further with the Titles of these Numbers Please:

326, 465,467, 468, 471, 472, 476,477. You could email them to me if it is too much to put them on this page? Please use this email: joolabarr@gmail.com. This will help me trace them. Thanks

• mckenzie77
    3 years ago

Sorry. But I no longer have these. I have sold all the binders

• Sean Randall
    3 years ago

I'm looking for the first binder, complete groups 1-4: Need cards 1-212.

• mckenzie77
    3 years ago

Sorry but I have sold the complete set

• Sean Randall
    3 years ago

Okay, thanks for the reply. I will be re-posting on here within the next two weeks once I receive the book I ordered. I was under the impression it was a complete set but I’m pretty sure that I will be getting a few from one through four and duplicates of what I have. I will be posting on here the duplicates and I will be willing to trade/buy/sell.

• PRO
    Ba776
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

For: Sean Randall - I have seen 2 different sets of Success with Houseplants. Looking At the footnote one has against the copyright © - MCMLXXXViii and another set's foot note is: © MXM IMP BV/IMP. I wonder which one you have? Both sets have the same sets of houseplants that the company printed but the page numbers are different, but they both have the same titles.

• Ellen Zachos
    3 years ago

I have a complete set for sale. Groups 1 - 19, 846 fold-outs (each one is really 4 pages) in five binders. WITH the index! Originally the publisher did not plan to do an index, but in the end they did and it came with a few extra pages of practical tips. I'm the original owner and subscribed to the service back in the 80s. I bought them all, and I think they are a fantastic reference, but we're downsizing and five binders take up a lot of space. I'll be listing them in my Etsy shop later this weekend: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheBackyardForager

• Ellen Zachos
    2 years ago

Just FYI, I just sold my collection.

• Lisa Mcalister-Aydin
    2 years ago

I have a partial book if anyone is interested.

• Lisa Shore
    2 years ago

lisa Mcalister-Aydin I have a partial set too. I would like to see what you have that i may need and if I have ones you need we can trade

• PRO
    Ba776
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Does anyone have Any cards for Groups 1 and 2 of Gardening made Easy by International Masters Publishers to sell or exchange or for cards from Success with House Plants?

• HU-692346137
    last year
    last modified: last year

I have inherited a complete set from my grandmother and I'd love them to go to a good home! However, they are very heavy (5kg) so it will be quite pricey to send them anywhere. If you're anywhere near Coventry in the UK you could always collect them!

• Melissa Ellenburg
    last year

@judyhippy - and anyone else... Did you ever finish the index? If so, I would like a copy. I started an excel sheet before I saw your message (from a year ago). I thought if you (or any other posters) had already done it, there was no sense in me re-inventing the wheel. :-) Feel free to email me at eldora924us at yahoo dot com (excuse me for not actually putting the email address. I receive enough spam and I want to make it harder for someone to grab the email and add it to more spam lists.... :-)

• PRO
    VMAC Photography
    last year

I know this is an old post but I'm interested in knowing page numbers for each section. Does anyone still have a complete set?

• HU-747501247
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

I have a set in edmonton, Alberta the last card i have is 846

• PRO
    Ba776
    8 months ago

VMAC Photography - edition MXM or 1990
    Group 1 Flowering Pants - cards 1-120
    Group 2 Climbing & Hanging plants 1-55 cards
    Group 3 Interesting & Colourful Cacti Cards 1-99
    Group 4 Unusual Plants cards 1-148
    Group 5 Easy-Care Green Plants - cards 1-179
    Group 6 Plants For Window Boxes cards 1-151
    Group 7 Understanding Your Plants
    Cards 1-36
    Group 8 Practical Tips & Hints
    Cards 1 - 93
    Group 9 Diseases & Pests Cards 1-19
    Group 10 Display Ideas For Plants Cards 1-72.
    Is this helpful?
    There is another index for the same cards for the ?1989 MCMXXXIX version. I will post them later

• PRO
    Ba776
    8 months ago

For MCMXXXIX 1989 ; Category 1 - Flowering Plants: 1-77; Category 2 - Elegant Palms, cards 78-98; category 3 cards 99-122; category 4 Interesting & Colourful Cacti-cards 123-224; Category 5 - Herbs For Your Kitchen - cards 225-259; Category 6 - Beautiful Plants From Bulbs - cards 260-297; Category 7 Climbing & Hanging Planting - cards 298 - 355; Category 8 Easy-Care Green Plants 356 -462; Category 9 Imaginative Miniature Gardens cards 463-480; Category 10 - Plants For Window Boxes & Tubs; cards 481-627; Category 11 Orchids For Beginners - cards 628 - 684, Category 13 Exotic Plants For Your Home - cards 685-707; Category 14 Plants For Special Places cards 708-784; Category 15 - Display Ideas For Your Plants - cards 785-857; Category 16 - Understanding Your Plants 857-874; Category 17 Diseases & Pests cards 875-894; Category 19 - Practical Tips & Hints cards 895-949; Category 19 Helpful House Plant Accessories - cards 950-972.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner