Return to the Book Reviews Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Success With House Plants

Posted by Cheryl_IL z5 NE-IL (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 1, 02 at 10:34

I bought this book from a garage sale. It's a thick cardboard 2-ring binder that came with pruning shears. It looks like the kind of thing that someone subscribed to and got more inserts regularly - either through the mail or from a local store (like the old recipe cards).

It's fabulous - each insert has such complete information! There are sections for different groups of plants (seasonal, palms, ferns, etc.) But it doesn't have all the inserts and I'd like to find them.

The big problem is that it has no publisher, no company name - nothing! Has anyone ever heard of this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Success With House Plants

Cheryl,
Hi! I did a search on the web "success with houseplants binder" and it looks like they are from:

The American Horticultural Society
the binder series Success With Houseplants

Maybe you could contact someone at the AHS site or call a toll free number and ask about the publication.

Hope this helps!
PackRat

Here is a link that might be useful: AHS site

o

I just bought a set at my libraries used book sale. There are actually six binders in the set and I agree they are very useful.
Steve

o

I bought 2 of those books from a "what not" store. I was hoping to find more of the series. I've got groups 5,6,7,8, 15, 16,17,18,and 19. A few missing cards from some of the groups. If you have any luck locating more of the cards please let me know. The cards are easy to read and have quick references when i'm not sure about something.

o

Hi, We have some extras of the inserts to the Success With House Plants series of binders. By the way, there are over 1000 inserts in a complete set. You can find some of them on eBay. We've also made an index for the entire series, if anyone would be interested in a copy, just let us know. Thanks,

Bruce and Sharon

o

Cheryl, I've got the complete set. Once they sent me duplicates and I just contacted the company.. I'm sure they'll be happy to sell/give? you the extras. I find these binders the best. They have so many plants, that most books are lacking...Toni

o

i found a success with houseplants binder at a yardsale....and I LOVE IT!!!!! if anyone has extra pages to sell/give i'm very interested.
mandy

o

Hi, I love the info offered in Success With House Plants. Does anyone know the company, or have an index, to help me try to complete my set?

o

I have an almost complete set of binders and would like to finish the set. The publisher is International Masters Publishers, Inc. I googled that and got their website. This series is not listed as available. I e-mailed them just a few minutes ago, but probably will have to wait for a reply since it's Sunday. On the bottom of some pages it says: MCMLXXXVIII International Masters Publishers BV / International Masters Publishers Inc. Success With Houseplants

o

I heard back from the publisher this a.m. They don't do that anymore.

o

I am looking for a complete set of 6 binders with all (>1000) inserts for a gardening club library. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx.

o

i collected this same set back in the late 70's, into the 80's. it's only 4 binders. i have the entire set. where did the information come from saying it was a 5 or 6 binder set?

o
Success With House Plants

You are right, earthlydelight, it's four binders fully loaded. But, it would be nice to have another binder for more room for the pages.

The complete set included four binders; with 19 groups, 846 pages of plants, plus 23 additional pages (before the numbered pages) that included a forward and a full index. Published in 1985 thru 1988, it was sold on a monthly subscription basis and few people stuck with the purchases to collect a complete setthat's why there are so many partial ones today being sold on ebay. The publisher never did a second addition and has no more in stock.

All that being said, I am missing the 23 index pages plus 757 thru 777 and 797 thru 830. Anyone have these? I'll buy or trade my duplicates.

o

bwright49, I haven't used this site for a long time so don't know how to reach you but I would like a copy of the index. I have 2 binders but not all sets, as they sent them in groups, not in order. Mine end with 756 but there are not 756 cards in total. I purchased these in the 70's I think.

o

I would like a copy of the index if it is still available.

o

Here's the complete rundown and last words on SWHP

Success With House Plants
International Masters Publishers
300 First Stamford Place
Stamford CT 06928
(800) 444-9270
moved to
Four Gateway Center
444 Liberty Avenue
Pittsburgh PA 15222-1207
same phone
Published 1985 to 1993, they were sold on a monthly subscription basis and few people stuck with the purchases to collect a complete set. That's why there are so many partial ones today. The publisher never did a second addition and has no more in stock.
The complete set included either four or five binders. The publisher sent an additional, empty binder to those who were about to complete their collection.
The complete set had 19 groups, 846 pages (cards) of plants, plus additional pages that included a customer's guide, Fascinating Facts for Plant Lovers, plus a Practical Tips Index and a Plant Care Index.
Subscription Packet #99 was the last set printed and sold by the publisher, and included cards #843 thru #846.
That is the complete set. Watch eBay and use this search
Success with House Plants -Readers -Digest

o

I have 183 "trading cards" from Success with House Plants that I am willing to trade for ones that are needed. Please respond so we may begin the process. Paul

o

I purchased a set of Success with House Plants and was told it was a complete set, but have realized that I am missing LOTS of cards.
GROUP ONE: 5-12, 18, 38, 55, 62, 64, 66, 77, 93, 106
TWO: 119
THREE: 139, 145, 148
FOUR: 183, 184, 192, 197
FIVE: 225A - 225C, 251
SIX: 290
SEVEN wow all there unless one of the cards have an A card
EIGHT: 355, 378, 392, 400
CARD 423 Which may belong to group 8 or group 9
NINE: 444
TEN: 459
ELEVEN: 503
TWELVE are all there unless one of the cards have an A card
THIRTEEN are all there unless one of the cards have an A card
FOURTEEN: 560, 598
FIFTEEN: 628, 666, 668
SIXTEEN all are there unless one of the cards have an A card
SEVENTEEN: 693
EIGHTEEN: 699, 720
NINTEEN: 757-814
my last card is 819; I understand that the set goes to card 846
I am missing cards 820-846

I would also like an index of the set if one is available
If anyone can help me with these cards or an index please contact me. THANKS

o

Picked up what appears to be a complete set of 846 topic cards in 19 groups with a sample spider plant card. It also contained advertising cards for a "Gardening Made Easy" set and the publisher's receipts paper clipped onto the front page. I'd estimate the original price of these books at about $325 including postage. This set was purchased in 1991 & 1992 in installments that averaged $13.52.

I'd love to have a copy of the index if one is available. I'm surprised the publishers didn't provide one as group 20, it would have made the whole edition truly useful (and they could have gotten another $13.52!)

Thank you in advance for an index and for the useful information provided by this forum.

o

I have a complete set available, 6 volumes in three ring binders, all 19 groups, 846 cards plus the plant care index and the practical tips index. The set is in excellent condition. I am open to offers and can be reached at beau101@telus.net. I live in North Vancouver in British Columbia and can arrange to ship them to you.

o

i myself like you also have one of those binders and cards, i got it through the mail. i got 1 packet every few months.i wasnt able to get the whole set though so i am also looking for the rest of inserts cards.

o

lets trade cards vv523@aol.com

o

aflowerluv E-mail me i have some pages to trade!

vv523@aol.com

o

I just bought a set at my libraries used book sale. There are actually six binders in the set and I agree they are very useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: نقل اثاث بالمدينة المنورة

o

Logged on to find publisher too, would like to complete set, see that is going to be a challenge! It looks like I am about half way through the set, very interested in people that may have located or have the second half?? Thankful for help!

o

I have several of these binders and have extra cards that I would be willing to trade for cards that I don't have. Anyone willing to do some swapping?

o

sounds like I need this set . . . too bad it's not being re-issued. Maybe if each one of us sent a message to the publisher, they might get the hint . . . .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Book Reviews Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here