Return to the Book Reviews Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please suggest a comprehensive bog/marsh book

Posted by LauraZone5 Illinois 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 27, 04 at 19:26

Please suggest a comprehensive bog/marsh book for the Midwest. I am in NE Illinois by the Wisconsin border.

I have The Natural Water Garden from the Brooklyn Botanic Garden. It does not have the in depth information I am looking for. I am currently interested in bog plant requirements. I have several pond books but these types of plants are only addressed in passing to fill planting pockets around ponds for aesthetics. I have a need for a more comprehensive bog/marsh book and would like a few suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please suggest a comprehensive bog/marsh book

Waterscaping has separate chapters on marsh, swamp, pond, bog, wet meadow, even container gardening with water plants. The emphasis is on native plants but it does also include some non-natives. The author is Judy Glattstein.

o

Hi Laura,

This might be useful:

The Book of Swamp and Bog: Trees, Shrubs, and Wildflowers of the Eastern Freshwater Wetlands by John Eastman, Amelia Hansen (Illustrator)

Marie

o

Why Thank You!

o

I would highly recommend 'Gardening with Prairie Plants' by Sally Wasowski. Extensive coverage of bog and marginal plants for our area. Great photos and descriptions.

o

Laura, IDNR sells a book called A Field Guide to the Wetlands of Illinois. It's not as comprehensive as I'd like to see but at least it is specific to our area and it's only $12.00.

The book talks about the different types of wetlands and what plants are found in each type. There's a link below to an IDNR page selling the book.

Here is a link that might be useful: WetlandsField Guide

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Book Reviews Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here