Return to the Book Reviews Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Review on Gaint Book by Baker

Posted by CherylGeorge (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 03 at 23:08

I am considering purchasing a book called "Giant Book of Garden Solutions" by Jerry Baker. IF anyone has any thoughts or evaluations of this or any other gardening book I would be most appreciative. I am interested in developing some flower gardens around the house and know that I will face a number of challenges to which the advertising for this book seems to offer solutions.

Thanking you in advance.

CG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Review on Gaint Book by Baker

I don't have that one but I do have several of his other books like backyard problem solving and Flower power. Between these two books he has helped me alot. I am a 1st time gardener and knew nothing much about it. I find his little tidbits of info and his recipes to be of great help. oneduck55

o
RE: Review on Gaint Book by Baker

As you become a well seasoned gardener, you'll find that Jerry's recipes and advice are based on good thought with a lot of hokus pokus mixed in. My assessment is from reading about half of his stuff. Much of his advice works well, some just makes you feel good. And of course he presents his findings as if he invented them all. I have really found nothing that can hurt except this:

Don't use so much soap! This weekly washing of your yard with a soap solution is bad. Soap can work on breaking down the cuticle layer that protects leaves from dessication. Use it to kill bugs, as a surfactant (spreader/sticker) for natural and chemical pesticides, but not for a simple periodic washdown.

Rick

P.S. I do have a B.S. degree in horticulture, and have been working in its various facets for 25 years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Book Reviews Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here