Return to the Book Reviews Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Does anyone know

Posted by cactus_cathy z5/WI (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 29, 04 at 12:54

Hi! Does anyone know of a comprehensive identification book covering ALL flowers. So many times I look at members trade lists and seeing a flower I don't know, try to look it up in my library of flower books. Needless to say it's never there. I already have:
The Complete Garden Flower Book
The American Horticultural Society Encyclopedia of Garden Plants
Great Plant Guide
Or am I wishing for something that isn't there?!!
Thanks, Cathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Does anyone know

"Or am I wishing for something that isn't there?!! "

Yeah ... kinda ... it's important to narrow your search ... are you talking about cultivated or native plants ?? ... for example ... tropical or just the plants used in your state ... ect. .

It also depends on your level of experience ... some books are more precise then others but harder to use with out some botanical training ... by the way some plants don't have flowers ??

Here is a few books but there are many others out there .. I don't live in your area so do not know the local references ... it's rare a single book will cover everything ...

I see you like Cactii ... Anderson's , "The Cactus Family" is the latest and greatest work that covers the whole family ... lots of photographs.

"Hortus Third" is a very big and expensive book ... it is a comprehensive dictionary of cultivated plants grown in the United States and Canada ... this book would be very useful ... given that you already have a reliable name to work with common or scientific ( example from a members trade list ) ... it is a great place to start your research but it may not answer all your questions ... it's a big world out there !!

What kinds of plants are of interest to you ??

Good Day ...

o

• Posted by Josh z8 GA (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 2, 04 at 3:00

I've found Mark Griffiths' book "Index of Garden Plants" helpful to update Hortus III. My best reference these days though is to go to Google Images and query the name of a plant unfamiliar to me. Usually by visiting several of the sites provided I can find not only photos but cultural info.

And of course there's always Gardenweb..smile...I've learned almost every forum has several friendly helpful experts. josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Griffiths' Index of Garden Plants

o

I use "The Wise Garden Encyclopedia" by Harper Collins.. it covers everything!

~Dusty~

o

• Posted by Subrosa PNW8(7)BCCanada (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 6, 05 at 22:27

A good reference website that lists plants by common or latin names is http://www.botany.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Botany Reference

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Book Reviews Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here