Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myohhmy

wanted: garden web monthly book exchange partners

myohhmy
17 years ago

We are a group of currently 5 members that have been trading books monthly for over a year. We are looking for one new member willing to exchange books for at least one month.

Each month we receive and mail out 3 books related to gardening. All books must be from 1980 or newer. Books are rotated around the group until they go back to the orgional owner who then replaces it with another book from their collection.

Monthy mailing costs are around $3 - $4 using media mail. Books are to be sent out by the 1st of each month.

We use this thread to post books that are sent and received. If you are interested in joining our group please contact me at myohhmy@comcast.net and I will send you more information.

This month I sent out a huge book over 400 pages - The Essential gardner by derek fell from my book collection. I would like it back, but it will take more than a month to look through it so take up to 2 months and then please put it back in book routation. I also mailed Making vegetables grow, and antoher small book - to off set the large book but I forot the name it (but did not have a persons address on it)

Comments (37)

• myohhmy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here are the two most recent posings fro october books so we can keep them all together. THANKS!

Posted by emily_ak z2 AK (My Page) on Wed, Oct 4, 06 at 15:33

Sent out 2 books for the October garden book exhange:
    "Sleeping with a Sunflower: A Treasury of Old-Time Gardening Lore" by Louise Riotte (I haven't read this one yet, but it looks interesting)
    and "The White House Garden" by William Seale (lots of lovely photos and old historical sketches of the grounds around the White House. A surprising amount of history for a fairly thin book).
    Emily in Alaska

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow-Up Postings:
    RE: Sent for Oct Exchange clip this post email this post what is this?
    see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by mao_tse_mom z5 Oh (maozamom@hotmail.com) on Sun, Oct 8, 06 at 19:03

Received "New Flowers" by Tessa Paul and "Gardening Pleasures" by Peter Henderson which has a return to Janice Pfaus sticker.

• myohhmy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

THIS IS THE NEW THREAD TO POST EACH AND EVERY MONTH.....

This month I received two great books...

Making more plants by ken druse - janice would like this book back. please keep it in rotation. I am looking forward to reading this one!

Changing gardens by susan stepenson

I am mailing out Annuals for dummies and I would like that book back as I have not read it yet... Will need to post whichother book I will be sending.

• jannie
    17 years ago

This is Janice. This month I sent out two books,Myann has received them. I will definitely be sending out three or more from now on. I received three books:
    A Woman's Hardy Garden
    Sleping with a Sunflower
    The White House Garden
    Thanks to all who send out books and special thanks to Myann for keeping this rotation going.

• maozamom NE Ohio
    17 years ago

I continued the exchange of Sleeping with a Sunflower, and The White House Garden, I added A Woman's Hardy Garden .

• rosekiller
    17 years ago

My apologies, Emily, but I misread when the books were supposed to go out (why did I have the end of the month stuck in my head???). These were sent out today:

The Greenhouse Gardener's Companion (I would like this one back eventually)

This Old House Complete Landscaping (As a novice, I liked the garden layouts)

• rosekiller
    17 years ago

I have receive Annuals for Dummies. When breezing through the book I particularly liked their grouping of several annuals together for colors and listing so many different easy annuals. The only thing I didn't like was a lack of care regarding invasive species. At least one of the recommended "easy annuals", chinese lanterns, is currently regarded by several states as invasive. It makes me more cautious regarding their other recommendations...

(I got this the same time I received an ebay purchase of some gardening books, so I sure hope I'm critiquing the right book!)

• emily_ak
    17 years ago

I sent out 3 books to Carmen that she should receive in early February:
    1. Terrific Tomatoes by Luebbermann (more tomato info than you can shake a stick at, and lots of pictures).
    2. Quick and Easy Indoor Topiary by Jones (which I actually haven't read, so no critiques)
    3. Gardening 101 by Martha Stewart (beginning gardening, but there were some very good ideas and lots of nice pictures)
    Emily in WARM Fairbanks

• myohhmy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

****NOTE WE ARE NOW FULL UP WITH 7 MEMBERS **** THIS GROUP IS NOW CLOSED TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL SOMEONE DROPS OUT FROM THE GROUP. I will put anyone who is interested on a waiting list though to contact them when someone does leave.

ohh I like seeing what books are coming up. I hope the white house garden makes it all the way around to me. I almost ordered that one online.

I also mailed a rose book since our new member showed interest in roses. I love drolling over them but don't have all that much luck growing them. I buy a knock out rose this year and let me tell you that thing bloomed and bloomed! Can't wait to see what it does next year.

The martha stewart book I think has a member label on it.

Topiary are NEVER quick and easy so I hope I get to see that one too - because I don't belive it~ lol

A VERY VERY BIG THANK YOU FOR POSTING BOOKS ON THE TREAD. I know its a pain in the buttt. Look at it this way no more lost books (thank goodness).

Happy garden reading, its so cold here today I'm going to go curl up with the propagating book and try to figure out cuttings. Which I have had very little success with.

• rosekiller
    17 years ago

Follow up on Annuals for Dummies: An overall good book. In some parts I suspect the process was over-simplified, but I genuinely appreciated not being bombarded with specifics on each plant like and dislike (I have other books for that). The pictures were lovely (it includes a color section). And I finally figured out which disease killed my seedlings last year (and how to prevent it).

• maozamom NE Ohio
    17 years ago

I received six books this morning, with so many I may send them back out at different times.

Garden Inventions
    Time and the Gardener
    Terrific Tomatoes
    Beautiful Easy Herbs
    How to Grow House Plants
    Q&E Indoor Topiary

• rosekiller
    17 years ago

Myohmy, just letting you know I received the Rose book and the Gardening in California (Titles are as I remember them, not exact). Did you send that label yet for the Annuals book?

• george-2007
    17 years ago

Hi I would be interrested in becoming a member to the monthly book exchange if at possible...Thank-you

• maozamom NE Ohio
    17 years ago

I'm sending Janice these books

Terrific Tomatoes
    Beautiful Easy Herbs
    Quick and Easy Indoor Topiary

Cathy

• emily_ak
    17 years ago

Courtney/Rosekiller,
    I received the books you sent today (actually, they showed up in town on Thursday Feb 15th, but I just got to the post office today to pick them up). I'm very excited about the Greenhouse Grower's companion--I've eyed it a couple of times at the store, so it will be nice to have a chance to read it before I decide if I need a copy of my own.
    Emily in FRIGID Fairbanks (Spring can't come soon enough!)

• rosekiller
    17 years ago

I mailed out earlier this week to Emily (and at a faster pace, to make up for last month!) the following:

Annuals for Dummies (Myann would like this one back)
    Seed to Seed
    California Garden Design (Not sure if I'm remembering this title exactly)

Myann, I thoroughly enjoyed the California Garden Design, makes me want to live there for the tropicals that won't winter in PA. And of course Annuals for Dummies was good. I haven't read Seed to Seed, but I hear it is good.

• myohhmy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This month I am mailing out: Changing gardens, The impatient gardner - by jerry baker, and passing on the great book jancice included...Making more plants by ken druse - janice would like this book back and I see why! It went on my wish list.

This month I received...

Sleping with a Sunflower which Emily would like back
    The White House Garden
    Green thoughts by eleanor perenyi

They all looked like great books...

Thanks for playing

**********We are curretly at 6 members we could possibly take one more but must be us resident and commit to 6 month trial of our group. email me if intersted.

• rosekiller
    17 years ago

Myann, I received the following:

Changing Gardens
    The Impatient Gardner
    Making More Plants

I'm looking forward to reading these!

• rosekiller
    17 years ago

Emily, did you receive the books I sent for March? I don't think I feel comfortable sending out another set until I hear from you.

Thanks,
    Courtney

• maozamom NE Ohio
    17 years ago

I have these ready to mail Monday
    Garden Inventions
    Time and the Gardener
    How to Grow House Plants

• emily_ak
    17 years ago

Courtney,
    Sorry, yes I received the books. I received them early/mid March and forgot about recording them here.

I just sent out:
    "Seed to Seed" Really interesting book
    "Home Landscaping California Region" Liked the ideas for drought-tolerant plants, and the Guide to Installation section was really informative.
    "Gardening with Perennials" The lists at the end of the book are fantastic.

Emily in sunny Fairbanks--Spring is finally here!!

• myohhmy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This month I sent out...

Sleping with a Sunflower which Emily would like back
    The White House Garden - REALLY COOL HISTORY of gardens
    Green thoughts by eleanor perenyi

This month I received from Janace -

A womans hardy garden
    quick and easy indoor topiary which I will keep unless someone objects I do not see a label and I am trying to do create afew topiears this summer!
    Beautiful easy herbs by laurence sombke which looks like a very good book too!

thanks everyone for posting!

HAPPY SPRING

• rosekiller
    17 years ago

I sent out the following:

Changing Gardens - Nice plans. I enjoyed this book.
    The Impatient Gardner - Another nice read. I believe this was an older book, and I loved the home remedies.
    Making More Plants - Didn't have time to read. But it looked good. Enjoy!

• jannie
    17 years ago

This month I sent four books to Myann , din't write down the names. And today I received three from Cathy:
    Garden of Invention
    Time and the Gardener
    Howe to Grow Houseplants/A SunsEt Book
    All look interestring. If I don't finish, I may keep one an extra month. Janice in NY

• maozamom NE Ohio
    17 years ago

Received April 13

Garden Tales
    Lilies
    Complete Landscaping

• rosekiller
    17 years ago

I received books this month... I keep putting off reading them, so I forget their titles. Thanks!

I'd just like to verify, because I haven't seen it being circulated above, that I'd like to keep my "Greenhouse Gardener's Companion" book, so I'd appreciate it if you would keep it in circulation.

Yippee, it's spring!

• rosekiller
    16 years ago

FYI. I haven't received books for the month of May. I'm not sure what the procedure should be, as I don't have excess books to send.

• maozamom NE Ohio
    16 years ago

Sent to Janice today

Garden Tales
    Lilies
    Complete Landscaping

• maozamom NE Ohio
    16 years ago

Received June 6

Gardening with Perennials
    Home Landscaping: California
    Seed to Seed
    Making More Plants
    Annuals For Dummies
    Greenhouse Gardener's Companion

• myohhmy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Due to confursion with the two new members I am sending out six to emily...

Time and the gardener (too many words not enough photos lol)

Great Garden Decor - please return did not have labels so I wrote name and address on front page. Book has some neat ideas... I want to try one on page 74 with circle and stones on circle as well as brick patterns on page 73

Lawn & garden book.

All about azaleas, camellias and rhododendrons

The treehouse book, alhtough this book is not really garden. it is inspiring to look at photos and made me feel like a kid again for 10 minutes which made the book worthwhile just because of that!

The little guide of herbs.

Sorry for the delay emily! I just got 4 trees cut down in my yard what a mess.... Still have carcuses of 2 left in my yard we are trying to cut up.

• maozamom NE Ohio
    16 years ago

I haven't had a new book in three months.

• maozamom NE Ohio
    16 years ago

Received Sept.10

On Good Land
    No Work Garden
    Gaining Ground

• jannie
    16 years ago

I didn't get any books this month. I sent three books to Myann in Michigan. Are we still doing this exchange?

• jannie
    16 years ago

Second month in a row no books. Myann, is anyone sending books out?

• maozamom NE Ohio
    16 years ago

Janice I'll send your books out tomorrow.

On Good Land
    No Work Garden
    Gaining Ground

received 9/29
    The 3000 Mile Garden
    The Impatient Garden
    Decorative Accents for the Garden

• jannie
    16 years ago

I sent 3 books to Myan in Michigan on October 31.

• jannie
    16 years ago

Received 3 books from Cathy Nov 15. I'll get books out to Myan before Thanksgiving.

• maozamom NE Ohio
    16 years ago

Darn, I should have held onto those last books. I didn't realize the ones from September would be it.