Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bernadette_gourder

Horticulture

bernadette_gourder
12 years ago

I am looking to purchase (or perhaps you know of someone who can trade or lend me their textbooks) some good textbooks about Horticulture, Plant Science/Biology, and Botany. What are your favorites? I am interested in horticulture for a possible living, but am not sure if I should push for a degree in this field or do most of the work through self-teaching and experience. So, I am looking to teach myself at least the basics. Can you point me in the right direction. Thank you so much!

Comments (6)

• claydirt
    12 years ago

Looking at your home page, it sounds like you have more experience that most of us. It appears you are north of Grand Rapids. If there is a regional campus of a major university or community college near, I'd suggest going to a book store there and browsing for something that looks interesting but not beyond your capability. They should be more than willing to sell you some books. If you find you can't stick with a self taught schedule, try a continuing education class for additional motivation. I wish someone would convince me to do this! Maybe when I retire...

• beatrice_outdoors
    12 years ago

I can't make recommendations on specific books but I suggest looking at classes that are interesting to you at various schools, find out what their required textbooks are, and start from there. With the convenience of the internet you can check out the requirements for a lot of different schools, and maybe even see if the same book is recommended by different schools. Then buy the books online for often a lot less than the school bookstore.

I'm doing a combination of this and actual classes for landscape design and maintenance in general, not horticulture specifically.

My local community college now has a book rental program, and does the typical buy-back after semesters are over. You may be able to get one less expensively at a local school near you that way, too.

Also check out horticultural societies near you or in Michigan in general. The societies may have recommended book lists, or even a library. You may be able to get a lot of information from local seminars, or be able to meet a horticulturalist near you that you can befriend and get advice from.

Don't forget your local extension as a source of help and information.

bestbookbuys.com is a search engine that allows you to compare the price of a book through various online vendors to find the best online price. There's a lot out there to learn, and a self-motivated person can accomplish a lot on their own.

I hope some of this helps you-Good luck!
    Beatrice

• bernadette_gourder
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much - your advice is quite helpful. Now to do some research. . . :)

Bernadette

• beatrice_outdoors
    12 years ago

Here is a site on the biology of seeds that may be helpful to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Seed Biology Place

• aseedisapromise
    11 years ago

And if you are looking to buy textbooks, rather than go to the college bookstore, it's better (cheaper) to try to go directly through a student who wants to unload a book. The students get more money than through the buyback program, and it's cheaper for you.

• randarand97
    10 years ago

I can't make recommendations on specific books but I suggest looking at classes that are interesting to you at various schools, find out what their required textbooks are, and start from there. With the convenience of the internet you can check out the requirements for a lot of different schools, and maybe even see if the same book is recommended by different schools. Then buy the books online for often a lot less than the school bookstore.

Here is a link that might be useful: ÙÙ٠اثاث بÙÙØ©