Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northern_huntress

Suggestions asked : About shade and woodland gardening

northern_huntress
18 years ago

Hi!

I was suprised that searches in this forum with the words "shade" or "wood", and variations of these, would get not a single hit. Nor did I find references to books on these subjects across the site. Is it that the search engine was not working at the time or what?

So, I ask nevertheless : do some of you have enjoyed good books you would strongly suggest about gardening or garden design in the shade or woodland?

Huntress

Comments (2)

• woodlandpixie_6
    18 years ago

My first choice would be "Wildflowers in your Garden: A Gardeners Guide" by
    Viki Ferreniea, Random House 1993. Not all shade plantings but chapters on
    woodland,suburban woodland,shady border, and fern garden. There is a sec-
    tion that shows pics and gives info on individual plants. She also gives suggestions for groupings. I also like 'The American Woodland Garden' By Rick Darke and the " Natural Shade Garden" by Ken Druse.

• northern_huntress
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you, woodlandpixie. I will certainly get them.

Myself, I can mention Shady retreats : 20 plans for colorful, private spaces by Barbara W Ellis (Storey books, 2003). This is less about gardening itself, but mostly a nice source of inspiration for layout of garden plans and accessories.

I also heard about a recent book published last May: Making the Most of Shade: How to Plan, Plant, and Grow a Fabulous Garden That Lightens Up the Shadows by Larry Hodgson (2005). I look forward to browse through it. I do not know if this book provides a real new contribution or is only some digest of the shade sections from his well written books about, respectively, perennials, shrubs, annuals and bulbs. I will keep this forum informed.

Other suggestions anyone?

Sponsored