Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the academic reasons for why only some grafts work?

Posted by albert_135 Sunset 2 or 3 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 10:27

Persons grafting usually use similar plants, citrus on citrus etc.

What are the biological obstructions to grafting wildly different plants? Few would even try to graft a plumb onto a redwood. Is the problem anatomical, physiological, genetic? What might they have said had I asked this question at the university?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the academic reasons for why only some grafts work?

How weird, my post to this thread has disappeared.

Basically, I had said that it's physiological and genetic, depending on how you use the words. When plants are grafted together, the cambium and phloem cells have to join at the graft. The cells along the graft will even exchange some genetic material. Even plants from different genera have been grafted successfully, but that's much rarer than intraspecific and interspecific grafting.

If I were going to ask a similar question at school, I'd rephrase it something like, "Can you explain the specifics of what determines which species and genera can be grafted together successfully?" While you're at it, you might ask them to cover what makes some grafts fail after an initial, seemingly successful period. If you ask, come back and tell us what they said, so we can discuss their input.

o

brandon7, your post did not disappear, rather I asked again on a different forum.

I had a citrus grafting class at ASU in 1967 and they may have answered my question and in the short time that has elapsed I just forgot.

I found a University of Missouri publication that offers descriptions in terms of species and genus and family but not a word about anatomy or physiology.

o

OOOOOOOh. I was wondering if I had lost it (even more so than normal). LOL

There are multiple scientific papers on the subject and some can be found on Google. Unfortunately, many may require paying (boy I hate those pay-to-read sites).

o

I posted some similar question yesterday just in case it can be useful for your list of compatible plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here