Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identification of rare conifers

Posted by taxonomist 7b VA (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 4, 07 at 19:19

Does anyone know how to differentiate between Thujopsis dolobrata and Fokienia hodginsii? Since these are quite rare and not well documented, literature bearing detailed descriptions and line drawings/photos of the leaves is almost non-existant. The taxomonic literature at my disposal is totally inadequate for acurate identification. Anything that anyone can offer will be of much value to me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identification of rare conifers

I cannot help you with your question, other to suggest that you post this in the Conifer Forum. There are some very knowledgeable folks over there who are quite likely to find this very interesting!

The attached link will take you right there.

Here is a link that might be useful: I'll take you to the Conifer Forum!

o
RE: Identification of rare conifers

Fokienia foliage does not have the thick fleshy texture of Thujopsis. Also, not so easy but may be usable, the side leaves on Fokienia tend to be slightly longer than the facial leaves, whereas in Thujopsis they are about the same length.

The cones are very different:
Fokienia
Thujopsis

For more info, check the Flora of China accounts.

Despite the foliage similarity, the two genera are not particularly closely related; Thujopsis is closely related to Thuja, and Fokienia to Chamaecyparis.

Resin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here