Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taxonomist

Coolabah Tree

taxonomist
18 years ago

As in "Waltzing Matilda"; does anyone know the current, correct BOTANICAL name of the Coolabah tree with the author's name? I could not seem to find it via the internet and am greatly in need of it!!!

Comments (6)

• TonyfromOz
    18 years ago

Depends what you you mean by "correct". There are 2 competing classifications of the Coolabah. Until recently it was regarded as a single but highly variable species, known by its earliest validly published name Eucalyptus microtheca F. Mueller.

But in 1994 the foremost eucalypt botanists Hill & Johnson published a taxonomic revision in which this entity was split into 8 species (Hill, K D & Johnson, L A S, Telopea vol. 5(4):743-771).

In Hill & Johnson's scheme the name E. microtheca is retained but is scope is narrowed to trees from the far north of Australia, in Queensland, the Northern Territory, and just across the border into Western Australia. This is because the type specimen was collected by Mueller on the Victoria River in what is now the northwestern corner of the Northern Territory, and the narrowed circumscription of the species must include the type.

In subtropical eastern Australia, where 'Waltzing Matilda' originated, the species recognised in Hill & Johnson's scheme is E. coolabah Blakely & Jacobs, published in 1934 but treated subsequently as a synonym of E. microtheca. It is divided into 3 subspecies.

'Waltzing Matilda' was penned by A B Paterson reportedly while visiting a sheep station at Winton in western Queensland and after hearing a local legend. The subspecies in that region is subsp. arida - or to give it its full name ...

Eucalyptus coolabah Blakely & Jacobs subsp. arida (Blakely) L. Johnson & K. Hill.

I believe Hill & Johnson's revision of the coolabahs is generally accepted among Australian botanists, though some of their other eucalypt revisions have aroused controversy (e.g. recognition of Corymbia as a distinct genus).

• lucy
    18 years ago

And all this time I thought it was 'Coolabong" tree!

• flash14756
    18 years ago

I think that you'll be safe if you stick with Eucalyptus microtheca :)

• TonyfromOz
    17 years ago

I just caught up with this last response and find it rather dismissive of Australian botany. What does flash14576 mean by "safe"? Is his/her opinion better informed? Why the "smiley face" punctuation? Does it mean you don't want to be taken seriously?

• socal23
    17 years ago

Tony,

flash's comment sounded dismissive of taxonomy in general, I doubt he knows anything about the politics of reclassification of eucalypts (the new Jepson manual will continue to recognize only three naturalized Genera from Mytraceae in California. I've read enough of the arguments to be thankful I'm not a taxonomist).

Ryan

• paradisi
    17 years ago

bit of advice - follow tonyfromoz's ideas - he knows what he's talking about and is always a font of knowledge in the australian side of the garden web forums