Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question-life cycle

Posted by chhe 6b (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 8, 06 at 19:33

Hi,
I wanted to try out a little hybridizing on plants and I was wondering if anybody could recommend a plant that can be grown indoors that has a really fast life cycle. I had heard that Wisconsin fast plants have a life cycle of 30 days and I was wondering if anybody knows of any plant that has an even faster life cycle than this plant. I heard that alot of weeds have very fast life cycles and so would even be interested in these too. So long as the plant can be grown indoors and that the seeds aren't microscopic. Can anyone help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question-life cycle

You can try out Arabidopsis, a fast growing weed but which requires long days in order to flower. Otherwise tomato is a day neutral plant but which requires about 60 days from seed to seed. One reason I listed these two is because they are very well documented.
Another 'weed' that you can try is Ipomea, morning glory. It flowers readily indoors and produces seed.
Naz

o

The hybridization cycle requires growing plants from seed to full flower, pollinating, allowing the seed to ripen, sowing the new borne seeds and growing all of THEM to adulthood. 30 days? I don't think so. This person posted this question on some other forums...we think it's a science fair project started too late.

o

you can try hybrid of Custard Apple and Guava.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://c.1asphost.com/Sanganagouda/forum/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here