Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
superthrive and freeze damage

Posted by adamcozzie 8b (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 14, 11 at 22:15

Has anyone experimented with using superthrive before or after a freeze to help minimize plant damage? From what I have read (and this is my inexperienced take), the auxin in superthrive, 1-naphthyl acetic acid, is a growth regulator that decreases foliage growth and redirects that energy to root growth.

If, in fact, this is what this chemical does, decreasing new foliage growth before a freeze would benefit a plant because the new foliage is what is most easily damaged. Plus, increasing root vigor would definately benefit the plant when it revives in warmer weather. Am I completely off or could there be something to this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: superthrive and freeze damage

Abscisic acid plays an important role in inducing dormancy in plants. However plants that are adapted to cold weather will produce it on their own in response to the change in seasons.

If something as simple as applying auxin reduced frost damage than commercial citrus growers would have figured it out a long time ago.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here