Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sergei_translator

Need help to check the terminology

sergei_translator
17 years ago

Hello,

I have a request...

I've completed the translation of a book on plants from Russian into English, but it was my first work with botany subject, so I'm not really sure in the choice of terms.

I put here just several articles from this.

I would be grateful if anyone could make some comments upon them, especially telling me of absurd or mistakenly chosen words.

Thank you in advance.

---------------

Broadleaf cattail

Reedmace family

Herbaceous perennial plant with upright stem up to 2 m high, growing on the banks of rivers, brooks and lakes, on swamps. Leaves near the stem base, rigid, linear, bluish-green, up to 2 cm wide. Flowers small, in cylindrical spadix inflorescence at the upper end of the stem. Male flowers clustered on more narrow upper part, female  on the lower, wider part of the inflorescence. The perianth of the female flowers divided into numerous hairs forming a pappus of a small nut-shaped fruit. It is widely distributed in the moderate zone of the Northern and Southern Hemispheres, in Kamchatka occurs mostly in the valley of Kamchatka river and its tributaries.

Old man's beard; traveller's joy

Buttercup family

Herbaceous perennial with upright or climbing stem up to 60 cm long. Grows on forest margins, meadows and among shrubs, on stony slopes near rocks, alpine tundras. Leaves 1-2-pinnately compound, on long petioles, leaflets broad-lanceolate, up to 6 cm long, 3 cm wide, smoth edged or with 2-3 big teeth, the uppermost often modificated into tendril. Flowers solitary, drooping, spherical-campaniform, violet-brown or brown. Fruits  brown, densely haired nutlets, ending with lengthened pinnate-haired style. It is distributed in the moderate zone of Eastern Siberia and the Far East, in Kamchatka it is usual in the inner parts of the peninsula.

Kamchatka daphne

Thymelaea family

Shrub up to 0.5 m high, with numerous underground branchings of shoots from the root. Grows in birch forests, on herb meadows along above-flood-land terraces of rivers and brooks, in high herb thickets near hot springs. Branches greyish-brown, naked. Leaves oblong-obovate, 4-7.5 cm long, 1.5-2.5 cm wide, on the shoot tips. Flowers pale-yellow, almost white, sessile on the branches little lower than flowers. Fruit  bright-red berry. An endemic of Kamchatka, it is distributed from Apachinskie hot springs in south to Tigil in the north. One of early blossoming and most poisonous (all parts) plants of Kamchatka.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions