Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Botany, Horticulture or something else?

Posted by gan_nair 78611 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 08 at 12:55

Hopefully nobody gets mad at me for asking this, but I really dont know and have searched for a while now. What I am wanting to learn is the following...

How to grow plants and flowers, how to get extracts and herbs from them properly, what the effects the plant can have (for example a certain amount of properly extracted Red Spider Lily will cause vivid/lucid dreams), how much should be injested to get the effects, etc.

Basically I am wanting to learn what the Native Americans and Western Civilizations knew way back in the day. I want to learn how to cure ailments like skin rashes, headahes, muscle pains, digestive problems, etc., but I admit I also want to know about the ones that cause lucid dreams, hallucinations, etc. But I really dont know what this kind of study is, Ive had so many people tell me different things I got a headache from it all. Figured here atleast someone will actually know what it is I am trying to learn so that I can go where I need to go online to learn it.

Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Botany, Horticulture or something else?

That topic is called ethnobotany

Resin

o

Hate to disappoint you in your venture, but I believe that you'll find that most of the pharmaceutical preparations currently on the market are much,much more effective than any natural product. The branch of science that you'er seeking is termed PHARMACOGNOSY.Many pharmaceutical companies spend millions of dollars in the investigation of plant or animal products which exhibit physiological activity.

o

Also check under herbalism, especially if you are looking to grow, harvest, and/or make herbal formulas of some kind. There are alot of different schools of thought and materia medicas when it comes to herbalism and you can probably find one that suits your needs.

FataMorgana

o

A book i have would be right up your alley. He has tried or knew someone else that tried a multitude of medicinal plants. The very descriptive text will have you rolling in the aisles or shaking in horror. Good description of plants, uses and history. Just use comman sense.

Book is "AMERICAN MEDICINAL PLANTS" by Charles E Millspaugh First published in 1892 by John C Yorston & co. My edition was published in 1974 by Dover Publications INC, NY,NY My book is not for sale at any price. I injoy reading it too much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here