Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
have you seen Coppertone loquat?

Posted by serenoa z8b, FL (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 24, 05 at 17:44

I recently purchased some "Coppertone loquat" plants. Coppertone refers to the coppery color of the young leaves. I was curious about their origin and, when I had time, did some reference work on the internet. This plant is listed variously as a loquat (Eriobotrya japonica 'Coppertone'), as a hybrid of loquat and Indian hawthorn (Raphiolepis) and as a hyrid of loquat and Photinia. These plants are all in the rose family and a hybrid may be possible. On the other hand, crosses between genera are not all that common outside of the orchid family.

My plants are coming into bloom, now. The new inflorescence and the flowers look exactly like an Indian hawthorn to me. I have not seen fruits, yet. Can anyone tell me anything more about this plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: have you seen Coppertone loquat?

Yes, I saw it yesterday at a Target store. I dont know anything about it.

o

I have both loquat and Indain hawthorn. Loquat have much larger leaves and are trees while I. H. are small leaved and shrubs here. Loquat fruit are about the size of a plum or smaller and are yellow when ripe while I.H. are small pea sized berries and black.
Hope that helped a bit. Now for a cutting ;-> HA.

Seriously I am interested in what you have. Maybe a pic just to smooth over my curious nature?
Mike

o

Coppertone is a hybrid, probably between R. indica 'Majestic Beauty' and one of the other copperleaved loquats, I am not sure which one. Photinia doesn't come into this picture.

I think if you do some research, you will find that intergeneric crosses are all over the place in agriculture and ornamental horticulture.

o

i just bought one two months ago-not because i was looking for one but because of its fragrance. the whole nursery stunk of this plant. i brought it home and put it in the backyard and could smell it from the street.this one plant, about 2 1/2 ft tall easily out stinks the four gardinias i have and the jasmine. i live in manteca, ca. the flowers lasted about 2-3 weeks-no fruits-bees and bugs love it. i have lilacs, jasmines, gardinias, and other smelly plants/trees but this is the one i cant wait for to bloom again. i haven't found anything on the net about how good this smells so here it is- this plant is extremely fragrant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here