Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelleysc_gw

plant careers

KelleySC
19 years ago

Hi, I'm new here and I was wondering if any of you might know a good entry level type of job that I could use to gain experience for a job in horticulture?

Right now I'm in college going for my BA in Liberal Studies, but my heart is really into working with plants.

I know there isn't a ton of money involved, but I'm not going for the money, although it would be nice.

On top of college I also homeschool my kids so any ideas that I could work into my non-existant time for experience would be very much appreciated. I've searched the internet and there is just so much information I'm swamped. I figured I would come and ask some people who already have some experience in the field.

Thanks in advance,

Kelley

Comments (2)

• The_Mohave__Kid
    19 years ago

"I know there isn't a ton of money involved, but I'm not going for the money"

Well that depends ... there is really no money in ANYTHING .. you have to make money it's never just there to be picked up ... horticulture is a trade ... once you cross the line into the world of professional anything .. in your case horticulture ... your there for the money.

"I was wondering if any of you might know a good entry level type of job that I could use to gain experience for a job in horticulture? "

Anything from nurseries .. part time goverment jobs ... growing plants at your university ( one fellow I new even grew plants for research scientist ) .. Golf courses ... Zoo's ... landscaping... magazines ( are you a writer ?? ) ... a photograper ?? .. an illustrator ?? ... Hollywood ( Who do you think sets up all those jungle scenes at universal studios ?? ) ... Vegas ( Hotels used horticulture people ) ... Floral shops ?? Think and Look.

Really anywhere people want to design .. install .. and maintain plants in any shape or form ... just look around ?? It's work finding a job !!

Follow your interest ... What got you thinking plants ???

Good Day ...

• KelleySC
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I have always loved plants, anything outside really. When I was little if things were going bad I'd go to the woods and just loose myself for a few hours. Now if things are bad I get into my garden. Something about getting my hands into the dirt is just really relaxing and calming (Sounds corny don't it?).

As far as the money part, does sound kind of odd now that I reread it. What I meant to say is that I know I will not get rich overnight, maybe not ever doing this. I know that with more experience I will get more money. I know better than to think I will take an early retirement after the first year.

I have seen so many people get into jobs "for the money" only to be completely miserable because they hate what they are doing. Or they took the first job that came their way and found themselves in a loop they couldn't get out of.

Fortunately I'm not in a situation right now where I would have to rush into anything. My husband makes enough money so that I can stay at home with my kids and think things through before I make any moves. We're not rich, but we're somewhat comfortable.

I do have skills I can use if we hit hard times that don't include flipping burgers (finally!). I just finished my classes for my Associates, so if needed I could do secretarial. Not to mention my experience with homeschooling my kids, tons of stuff I could do with that. But like I said, my heart is with plants. Now that my kids are getting a bit bigger I can start going for what I want.

Thanks for the ideas about places to look. There is a nursery way, way up the road from where I live at. I'll give them a call.