Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
corolla-calyx hybrid

Posted by hoe_hoe_hoe 6b (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 6, 05 at 21:07

I just found this interesting and thought others from this forum might too. I wonder how commonly this occurs.

Here is a link that might be useful: corolla-calyx hybrid

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: corolla-calyx hybrid

I guess I will dispatch this...

someone in the Name that Plant forum actually identified my mutated plant part photo as a 'pantaloon'. I was surprised to find that these things and several others mutant combos have names.

o

I found another occassion to post this elsewhere, and I thought of this post.

Since posting this I have learnt that such an oddity is known as a "homeotic mutation". There is an interesting discussion going on in the daylily forum about a daylily with petaloid leaves.

o
RE: petaloid sepals

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

Here is a rose with the same phenomenom going on.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

• Posted by josh z8a (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 14, 07 at 2:03

Thanks for the photographs and the further information. Plants and their antics are endlessly interesting to me...josh

o

They are found fairly commonly among cultivars of some plant groups, for example azaleas. Sometimes described as "hose-in-hose" (which may go back to the time when hose meant sock or stocking).

o

O. F. Cook (1926) called these "Metaphanic Variations". There are lots of them around if we bother to look. I have seen tulips with an extra organ - part leaf, part petal - on the stem where no such organ belongs. And I have seen agapanthus with the spathe-valves colored the same shade of "blue" as the flowers. The so-called Green Rose bears a rosette of green sepals blotched with red in place of petals and stamens. Then there was a daylily with a leafy 9 inch bract.

Petaloid stamens, stamenoid petals, nectaries on leaves ... the list goes on and on.

Karl

Here is a link that might be useful: Metaphanic Variations

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here