Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growth regulators

Posted by alfred_grower Z7 VA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 2, 09 at 8:34

I have Iris louisiana that are starting to get very tall, is there a growth regulator that works well and consistantly . I have tried using b-nine at various strengths but that had little or no effect. I believe bonzai will work but i have no experiece of using it.

if anyone has any advice it would be greatly recieved.

thanks Alf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growth regulators

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 9, 09 at 10:51

I was thinking the same thing that Poly said in the Iris forum; why fight nature on an issue like this? If you are doing some type of research, that's one thing, but if you just want a shorter iris, get a shorter iris.

o

Bonzi is not labeled for outdoor landscape use. I've used it for various greenhouse crops, but iris is not one of them. I'd never use it on installed plants.

o

are you producing iris for sale commercially, or you planning to treat them in the landscape? low light and crowded conditions may result in plants that are stretched, or taller than is desired. under these conditions, they might respond to growth regulators. pgr's will only affect the new growth that is put on, not any leaves that are all ready too tall.

in commercial production, b-9 is labeled to be used with cycocel; combinations of the two are often more effective than either one alone. easter lilies and many bulbous crops respond to a-rest. check these labels for labeled uses and strengths. grower product news prints research on pgr's on various crops and might be a resource. gpn.com i think.

o

Many growth retardants work by interfering with gibberellic acid and/or brassinosteroid synthesis or response. Arrest (ancymidol) is only a gibberellic acid antagonist. If a plant doesn't respond to externally applied gibberellic acid, it won't respond to Arrest e.g., Alocasia macrorrhizos. Bonzi (paciobutrazol) and Sumagic (Uniconazole-P) are reputed to be both gibberellic acid and brassinosteroid antagonists. I have experience with Bonzi and I never met a plant that it couldn't shorten. Sumagic is reputed to be strong enough to shorten lawn grass but I never tried it.

Anyway, these typically shorten stems and petioles much more than leaves. Don't irises already have short stems and petioles?

o
I forgot to mention

These are not very effective when applied as a foliar spray. They practically have to be applied as a soil drench in pots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here