Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will my persimmon sapling die? I damaged the roots at the base

Posted by njbiology Zone 7(/6b); NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 0:10

Subject: Will my persimmon sapling die? I damaged the roots at the base.....

Hi,

Accidentally, when taking my American persimmon sapling out of its temporary spot to be transplanted into its permanent spot, I ended up damaging one of the 4 solid main root branches (one of the main legs of the roots) - unfortunately, not only did I damage it to the point of needing to prune it, which would have been fine or even helpful in getting it to produce more roots, but it snapped off at the point where the root "leg" meets the base from which all the major root legs come from. I cut it clean, but there is a gap or a hole where it snapped. Will the tree heal or, eventually, rot? If it survives this year and the winter, will it still be subject to an inevitable end in the upcoming future sooner then later?

I'm sure that willow and certain other types of roots will recover from having the actual solid, base portion of the roots system sheered, but I don't know if persimmons will.

I hope that it won't die from this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will my persimmon sapling die? I damaged the roots at the bas

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 29, 09 at 16:27

See duplicate post in the more appropriate Fruit and Orchards Forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Duplicate Post

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here