Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
snapdragons have rust should i pull them out??

Posted by Jonelle24 none (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 11:47

Hello, I'm in CA and we planted a ton of Snapdragons in October (2012) which have been getting bigger and more beautiful every month!! In the beginning of April I noticed they had rust so I went and purchased an organic fungicide (Dr.Earth) and have been practicing better watering habits and trying to keep an eye on it, but I think its still spreading. I don't know what to do, I don't want it to spread to my other flowers or my fruit trees...what to do??? Should I just rip them all out and replace with something new or keep at it with the fungicide?? What a shame they are sooo pretty!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: snapdragons have rust should i pull them out??

Jonelle24, my opinion is that they may be nearing the end of their useful life and should be replaced something more fitting for the season.

o
RE: snapdragons have rust should i pull them out??

Ron is exactly right. Snaps are considered a cool season or cool climate plant.....much like pansies.

The good news is that the rust which affects snaps (Puccinia antirrhinum) will not spread to any other plant.....except other snapdragons. Rust is very species specific and cannot jump from one kind of plant to another.

You'll need to pay careful attention to the usual housekeeping chores before planting next year. Rust spores can persist in mulch and any plant debris.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here