Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Obvious but Unanswered Question on Phototropism

Posted by struwwelpeter 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 26, 10 at 12:27

According to Wikipedia, "The cells on the plant that are farthest from the light have a chemical called auxin that reacts when phototropism occurs. ... blah, blah, blah"

Is this because:

A. More auxin is destroyed on the light exposed side?

B. Less auxin is synthesized on the light exposed side?

C. Auxin migrates away from or not to the light exposed side?

D. None of the above.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Obvious but Unanswered Question on Phototropism

Auxin is produced by the apical meristem and is transported to the side of the stem opposite the light stimulus, causing the cells on the "dark" side to elongate more and the stem to grow (bend) towards the light.

o

Some sketches of how they figured it out at: The discovery of auxins: phototropism

o

"Auxin is produced by the apical meristem and is transported to the side of the stem opposite the light stimulus, causing the cells on the "dark" side to elongate more and the stem to grow (bend) towards the light."

That sentence does not imply that A. is false, i.e., auxin is NOT also transported to the light side where it is destroyed by the light. What experimental evidence disproves A.? If all sides of the plant are illuminated equally, is there a net reduction of auxin in the plant or is it constant?

o

Phototropism is cool! I loved learning about that in my Botany course.

o

Indiana.edu site on Phototropism Part I: Light and auxin has diagrams similar to those linked above with a tiny bit more.

As someone already noted, it is a really fascinating field of interest.

o

In pine shoots, auxin appears not to be made in the apical meristem, but rather in the developing leaves (needles). Removal of the AM does not inhibit stem elongation; plucking off the young needles does inhibit it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here