Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
''bioremediation'' and ''phytoremediation'

Posted by albert_135 Sunset 2 or 3 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 08 at 15:48

In common dictionaries such as The American Heritage ''bioremediation'' and ''phytoremediation" have almost identical definitions.

I had always heard ''bioremediation'' up until recent weeks but apparently ''phytoremediation" has been around long enough to make it into some common dictionaries.

What are your feelings about which is the older term? The better term? Do we need both?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ''bioremediation'' and ''phytoremediation'

albert 135, I understand 'bioremediation' to include all forms of life in the effort to clean up pollution which has already occured. Phytoremediation is specific to the use of plants to reduce the confirmed pollution of bodies of land and water.
But this is all just my understanding, you understand?

o

ronalawn82 has it down correctly, that is exactly the distinction bewteen the two terms. 'Bioremediation' typically refers to the use of microbes, bacterium, fungi, etc. to clean up contaminated soil and/or toxic wastes. 'Phytoremediation' (from the Greek prefix phyto-, meaning plant, and the Latin root remidium: to correct or remove evil) is the use of plant material to filter contaminates from soils or water. Plant material is often used to purify waste water or for sewage treatment purposes.

And yes, both terms are needed as they describe quite different processes.

o

I would like to invite everyone interested in the topics of microbial bioremediation and phytoremediation, the cleaning of contaminants using natural methods, to a tweetchat this coming Friday. I will be co-hosting an event on #groundchat (via twitter) this Friday at 1pm Central Time.

Hope to see you there... Looking forward to hearing your opinions on the subject!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here