Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rlhicks_gw

Identification of wild shrub

rlhicks
18 years ago

The photos linked below are of a wild shrub growing wild on my property in Commerce, Georgia (USA). These pictures were taken today.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i284/rlhicks/big.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i284/rlhicks/branch.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i284/rlhicks/young.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i284/rlhicks/top.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i284/rlhicks/bottom.jpg

The plant is abundant locally, and is presumably a native species, but I don't recall having ever seen it before moving here.

Small specimens are numerous as an understory plant, especially in low-lying woods. Where they receive more sun, like at the edges of lawns and clearings they often grow to more than 10 feet.

What is it?

Comments (11)

• sam_md
    18 years ago

Are the flowers fragrant and the undersides of the leaf silver? If so, you have Autumn olive or Elaeagnus umbellata, an Asian introduction.
    Sam

• terrestrial_man
    18 years ago

here is one link

{{gwi:432595}}

if you want to learn how to set the link yourself email me
    I will make a jpg with instructions.
    cheers

• rlhicks
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sam,
    The leaves are much smaller than Elaeagnus umbellata although the shape of the blossoms is almost identical. From above the leaves look a lot like common privet in size and shape, with the bottoms looking just a little whitish. The jpgs named top and bottom show both sides of the leaves of a twig, with a shoe for scale. The plant is in bloom only a short time, and small green berries follow. I don't recall exactly how long last year's berries remained attached, but they were not conspicuous at any stage, and I don't recall any color other than green. I also did not notice how many seeds they contained. The bush is deciduous and leafs out just before blooming. In fall the leaves yellow somewhat before dropping.

• terrestrial_man
    18 years ago

How about Russian olive?

Found a cool site

Atlanta Botanical Garden

Maybe they can help? Note this site deactivated my back button so you will have to use the History button to return.

Cheers.

• rlhicks
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Russian has larger and more slender leaves, and much larger fruit. Also, my location is outside the known range of russian olive, and these things abundant here.

{{gwi:432595}}

{{gwi:432598}}

{{gwi:432599}}

{{gwi:432600}}

{{gwi:432601}}

Jerry, thanks for the tip on setting the links.

• terrestrial_man
    18 years ago

My pleasure!

Found this link to a site with images. I haven't the time
    to look at them all but maybe it would be easier for you
    to compare them.

Georgia Natives

cheers

• nancybea
    18 years ago

This is such a coincidence. When I saw the topic of your question over on the Gerogia page, I thought that maybe I could post a similar one trying to ID a shrub I found several of in the field behind my house yesterday. Well after looking at your pictures, I believe it's the same shrub. VERY fragrant. That's what attracted me to it. Tiny creamy white tube shaped flowers. Scrappy looking shrub. I would also love to know what this is. I live about 45 minutes from Commerce in Oconee County.

• stick_and_thistle
    17 years ago

Another coincidence. I found this thread while trying to ID this same shrub.
    I'm in central Ohio, where it's growing in an old farm field left fallow for a few years.
    I tried that Georgia natives link, but found nothing.
    Any luck with the ID?

• sam_md
    17 years ago

I know it's hard to believe but Autumn Olive was actually promoted and distributed as a wildlife habitat plant until just recently.
    I was involved in a invasive removal on Nature Conservancy property which was infested with AO. Here's what we did. Larger plants were cut close to ground with chainsaw. Stump was painted with full strength herbicide. Tops were taken to composting facility, ground up and composted.
    This site must be monitored because years worth of seed had been built up in the soil. A backpack sprayer took care of subsequent seedlings.
    Sam

• philippe92_mygsc_com
    12 years ago

okay me and my buddy found this plant out in the marshes/woods in a small patch and its got dark green oval shaped and non lobed leaves, and the veins are a lighter shade of green and are almost gridded. the picture is kinda crappy so i tried to describe it as best i could. only one question remains...what is it?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Forester40, is your post for real or a joke?

1. Your post is not even about Rlhicks' initial question, so doesn't belong in his/her thread.

2. You don't say where in the world you are, which would make identification hard even with a MUCH better description.

3. Your description is very poor/incomplete.

If your request is a serious one, I suggest you take the time to formulate a much better description, start your own thread, and consider posting it in the Name That Plant Forum. And, if you have a picture, even a not-so-good picture might be better than none at all.

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions