Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vine movement towards support

Posted by creatrix z7 VA (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 14, 05 at 20:52

I have a small recently rooted ivy plant. It's growing vertically, and I turn it once a week or so. Ok, I know the leaves move towards the window for light, the cells on the dark side get longer than the sunny side ones. I understand that wind movement and touching a plant 'causes'a sturdier stem- ? hormone stimulation.

I put a taller plant behind the ivy three weeks ago, and haven't turned the ivy since. The taller plant is 6 inches or so from the ivy. How did the ivy know to grow away from the light and over to the support that is 6" away? Air current changes? Electromagnetic fields? Intuition? Magic?

Just curious, and always looking to learn-

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vine movement towards support

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 15, 05 at 10:50

Climbing vines need to find a suitable support on which to grow. Plant parts in need of suppoprt begin what appears to be a hunting motion whereby shoot tips rotate in a nutational movement. This is a mechanism that helps plants find needed support in their attempt to reach optimim light. When the shoot rubs against a support, the rubbing induces another response called a thigmotropic response (induced by touch), in which usually the shoot usually begins to curl around the support. Of course, vines typically show the most extreme nutational movements.

So, if you're convinced you're not seeing phototropism in action, I would bet that you are seeing initial stages of nutation.

Al

o
RE: Vine movement towards support

Well, it must be the nutational movement. It was straight up until the other plant was placed behind it. I was impressed by the ivy covering the 6" gap. (The ivy is only 10" tall).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here