Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njbiology

When 2saplings inosculate, do they form a single or double core?

njbiology
15 years ago

Hi,

In nature, when two tree seedlings form two saplings only around 6" apart from eachother, when the two saplings individually grow to a trunk diameter of 3" and friction causes the thin bark to wear away between them and result in their eventually fusing, do the two trunks become a single trunk with a single core (whereby the two cores move into eachother to form a single core) at the base portion or... do the two trunks become a single trunk with two still-separate cores at the base portion?

I will be planting 4 bare-root American persimmon saplings (of various cultivars) 6" apart from one another in a box-formation, hoping that they form a single unified trunk, but I'm afraid that if I do not plant them close enough that they won't fuse (except at the very base) - whereas I want a solid trunk before they divert 4 ways; and I'm concerned that if they are too far apart, they will have grown too large and never fuse, repelling or diverting at a sharp angle. I would like to think that 6" apart is the ideal distance, enabling just enough space for them to develope separate cores that will unite. This is poorly worded... for some reason, I think that I can plant them 1" apart, but then they WILL form one trunk but that doesn't guarantee 4 separate main trunks from one: it will form a single trunk the whole way.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions