Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potentilla turns invasive

Posted by deb5315 Z5 Colorado (My Page) on
Tue, May 29, 07 at 11:43

I used Potentilla nepalensis 'Ron McBeath' (Miss Willmott Potentilla) as a groundcover in a landscape installation. The following season most of the original plants had died, but seemed to be replaced by potentilla anserina, AKA Silverweed. The leaf became small and ferny in appearance and the bloom changed to small yellow blooms, and numerous red runners formed an invasive mat. The second year, this had invaded the lawn up to 40 feet away.

I am wondering if it is possible that the Miss Willmott variety was a hybrid that seeded, and the seeds produced a throwback to p. anserina. They are both of the Rosaceae family, and p. anserina is not common in this state.

Can anyone explain or confirm what happened here?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potentilla turns invasive

They are not very closely related (Silverweed has been split out into a separate genus by some botanists, as Argentina anserina). I'd suspect the most likely cause is a stray Silverweed root in one of the pots, from its being a weed at the nursery.

If the spread is very rapid, do all you can to stop it, before it ends up as a new Colorado-wide menace!

Resin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here