Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggested resources for self-education?

Posted by queuetue (My Page) on
Sat, May 31, 08 at 11:45

My wife and I have both become very interested in botany from a book, Botany for Gardeners (ISBN 978-0-88192-655-2). We're both just marveling at the simultaneous diversity and similar nature of how plants have adapted and evolved.

Can you recommend any resources, especially books or sites that "take apart" plants and identify the adapted individual parts of plant species, at different stages of maturity? This is purely an individual academic pursuit, but it's nevertheless amazing to discover just how and why these plants we've seen and recognized for our entire lives have adapted they way they have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Botany for Gardeners (Amazon.com)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggested resources for self-education?

It's almost as if it's by intelligent design ...

o

Not really.

o

You and your wife are in the same boat I was in just a few years ago when I moved to a new area and knew nothing about the plants here. As a result, I put together some material for my own use, shared them with others, and have had requests to put those resources up on the web. I hope you might find the site suggested below of some use.

Here is a link that might be useful: Learn Plants Now

o

I'd suggest a book titled Hortus Third. I've had this book for 32 years. It doesn't have any frills, just black and white drawings of the plant parts for most of the plant families. It looks like a big dictionary (and it is, of plants) and if you aren't serious about plants you won't use it. When you look up a begonia it'll tell you why it's a begonia and the differences between the species and cultivars. Anita

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here