Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
damaged tree

Posted by bethdues (My Page) on
Thu, May 25, 06 at 15:25

I just bought a weeping cherry tree a month ago, my bull got out, and of course went straight for it, breaking it in half. This tree had been originally graphed. It broke about a foot or so above the graph. I put the whole top of the tree in my little pond, where it has stayed healthy looking. Should I reattach it to the stump that is left and make a "tea" for it and wrap it around the damaged part and keep it "moist" and maybe it will all reattach? Or is it possible to graph this tree again? or is it a lost cause and I need to get over it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: damaged tree

Try asking on the Trees forum - you'll likely get a better response there

Resin

o
RE: damaged tree

You have a couple of choices. You could make the ends smooth with a diagonal cut and graft them together again, or you could just leave the top off with a good chance the it will regenerate.

I have had cherry trees sheared off that grew new canopies. But since yours is a weeping cherry, I'm not sure which direction new branches will grow if you just leave it as is.

Lainey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here