Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for a kind of plant with tiny seeds that can be purchased

Posted by anchange CA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 21, 09 at 2:18

I need a plant that has seeds the size of sand grains essentially. Seeds like the seeds of Irish Moss if youre familiar with what those look like. Basically very small seeds. The only other criteria is that they can be bought in extreme bulk. Like less then a dollar per gram. Any ideas would be helpful, thank!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for a kind of plant with tiny seeds that can be purch

Some ornamental grasses may have seed almost as small as dust and can be purchased in bulk. The people at Gardenweb's Ornamental Grasses forum can give you links to good sources.

o

Nice I'll post there too. Basically I want something that looks like this after a week or two - http://files.getdropbox.com/u/455762/ex_irish_moss.jpg

But at the same time is cheap to buy in bulk.

o

I haven't explained my situation well... let me start over. Basically I'm working on this art project where we need to arrange seeds into different patterns and then film the seeds sprouting / creating a pattern / drawing. This will really work with a lot of different kinds of seeds but the tricky part is I need to keep the detail really fine even when the whole layout is going to be massive. Hence after trying a bunch of seeds I've found Irish Moss to work nicely, it has tiny little seeds that produce tiny little sprouts (hence great pattern detail). Only problem is buying Irish Moss seeds gets pricey really quickly... So basically I want cheap tiny seeds that will grow like this - http://files.getdropbox.com/u/455762/ex_irish_moss.jpg
Any help would be AWESOME!

o

Rye grass will perform like that. It will also germinate very quickly. Keep it clipped very short as it germinates and it will get denser and denser and finer.

It's used to over-seed golf course greens during the winter, in the south; that should tell you how fine-textured and thick it can become in a very short time.

I covered an old tie with rye grass seed as a joke one year.

o

The grass can't be cut. It has to grow undisturbed. Will rye grass grow super short and dense if uncut? I looked up picture of it and it seems to want to get pretty tall.

Any other ideas?

o

Mother of thyme would fill the bill perfectly.

Lainey

Here is a link that might be useful: Mother of thyme seeds

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here