Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annamaria12970

A new Species

annamaria12970
11 years ago

About a year ago my friend put two cuttings in a cup for me to take to my home and plant once they had started to root. Being forgetful i left them there for months , when i was made homeless and moved into a hostel i took the cuttings with me as i had very little. By this time the cuttings were as good as dead but the roots were very strong and tangled. I took the roots and half dead plants home and planted them.The cuttings were a Busy Lizzie and a Money plant.The plant strived and started out growing as a very tall stem that became to tall so i had to out a stick in the pot to keep it upright.To my own amazement the plant just went from strength to strength and grew so strong.I have drawn alot of personal strength from this plant. Her leaves are the shape of the Busy Lizzy but the thickness of the leaves and the stem are like the money plant.I have taken cuttings and passed them out and they are growing even stronger. I have never seen such as plant in all my life.I want to name it but dont know what .and i wonder if it has any useful qualities, apart from it making those who have a cut ofr it feel strong, the plant to me will always be special as it has grown with me from a point where we were both very weak and lifeless.....has anyone got any suggestions of what to do with it , can it be officially named, and is it commen to be able to do this, cos right now i feel pretty clever lol even thoiugh it was a fluke ....Help, dont want to keep this to myself lol

Comments (16)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

First of all, congratulations on being strong and hopeful in the most difficult of times. Not many people could do that.

Your sturdy little plant is not an Impatiens (busy lizzie) or Jade (often called money plant) . I believe it to be a Kalanchoe, a favorite flowering houseplant. I'm not totally sure of that; it's a bit difficult to tell from the pictures.

Kalanchoe have thick, succulent leaves like the Jade plant....and they are shaped somewhat like those of Impatiens. But those two plants cannot combine to form a new species. What you've managed to do is keep alive a plant that most people throw away when they are done flowering. That's a nice accomplishment.

My other thought was that it could be a Swedish Ivy. They used to be very common hanging baskets but have become rather rare these days. I don't know why, they make a terrific, long lasting houseplant.

• annamaria12970
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I dont see how that is possible , since neither of us have owned one of them plants , it was created in the manner i say it was, i am also in the process of doing the same thing again but in a more structured way, this morning i have cut two stems from the same two said plants that have been in a cup with their roots merged together for the last three weeks, i have cut sthe merged roots together in a pot and covered them with soil lets see what happens this time....Dont see how you can say it is the plant you say it is when we didnt have one of those....but lets see what happens....is there an explanation as to how we could grow a plant that neither of us owned ?

11 years ago

Are these two plants you're talking about Jade and Impatiens? No?Perhaps you could take pictures of them, if you wouldn't mind. You used common names in your first post....it's very easy for identification to get lost in translation sometimes. Let's see the plants that you are calling Busy Lizzie and Money Plant.

I feel that proper ID of these two plants will solve the mystery. It's very interesting.

• annamaria12970
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes it is the Jade and the Impatiens i can get a picture of them both if desired as she has both still growing in her home...I have now repaeated the process and will be keeping a journal of the development, i let the two sets of root mingle again , but this time i cut the stems just above the twisted roots and have planted them deep in soil,(this morning)it will be interesting to see what happens....they have nnly been intwined for a few weeks unlike the first set that were mingling for around 6 months prior to planting

11 years ago

Well....how do I put this? Plants of completely families can't co-mingle to form a brand new species. That would be like expecting a whale (a mammal) to unite somehow with a collie (another type of mammal) . Grafting is limited to plants closely related to each other....and grafting NEVER results in a new species.

Or, a better analogy would be to combine an azalea with a rose....it's never going to happen. They are both flowering plants but belong to different families. That's a big difference in the plant kingdom.

What I expect happened in your case is that a secret little seed from a kalanchoe germinated in difficult circumstances and has flourished in spite of the odds.

• annamaria12970
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Where would you suppose that seed came from , we have no close contact with the plant you mentioned....

I understand what you are saying but i am not having it at the moment until the process has been repeated, there is no way that we could have got that seed and i assume they dont just appear from thin air, or are they air born ?

The plant has gone to be assessed....cant see me going through so much to trouble if it hadnt happened how i say it happened...i guess time wil tell i have a phpto diary started for the process i have repeated..i will keep you posted on the result, lets see what the combination of the roots create this time, its the only way to test yours and my theory...

The picture is of the roots of both the Jade and the Impatien...Planted yesterday , i will be sure to keep you posted .

11 years ago

So you are using the same roots as before? Yes, I would very much like to see pictures of these two plants that your friend has. Thank you.

11 years ago

Brandon...I 'm making a serious effort to help AnnaMaria come to an understanding of what she has observed. Let's not make her feel uncomfortable.....okay?

• annamaria12970
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Takes much more to make me feel uneasy lol.....I know what i know and i guess time will tell.....wish we could seed it up tho lol , i am interested to see the results more than anyone else...Thanks for your help Rhizo

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

I too think the little plant in question is a Kalanchoe - the foliage looks exactly like K. blossfeldiana. Any flowers would be an ID clincher!!

And I also agree with Dorie/rhizo that it is highly unlikely two very disparate, unrelated plants can combine to produce something which has none of the visual characteristics of either of the two supposed "parent" plants - it just doesn't happen :-) And I applaude the very careful and thoughtful way she went about explaining that to annamaria.

11 years ago

AnnaMaria, I have sneaking suspicion that one of your original two gift plants from your friend was a Kalanchoe. It wouldn't be all that unusual to mistake one of the K. species, for example, for a jade. A picture of those two original plants would provide some clues to your mystery.

• denninmi
    11 years ago

It is most definitely the common florist's kalanchoe, K. blossfeldiana.

• annamaria12970
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It isnt a Kolanchoe , we dont won them , i will post the two related plants , and you are wrong it has already been proven by people who make rmedys and they know for a fact it isnt what you say it is as they have used them for healing purposes too, so i am glad that someone who has seen it in person sees what it is really all about, as for having none of the charecteristics of either plant, again iw ill have to disagree as it has the thickness and texture of the money plant and the leaf shape of the bust lizzy used...will add a pic . now of the two plants used.

• annamaria12970
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is the Kalanchoe Blossfeldiana you speak of and i dont personally see the similarity, but like i say time will tell

11 years ago

Brandon, go away. Really...what's the point of being just plain mean?

Annamaria, the picture you posted of a Kalanchoe isn't representative of what one will look like a few months or years away from the growers. This is a plant that is treated with special plant hormones to keep it short and stocky while it begins to blooms. They are always sold in full, glorious bloom...just like your photograph.

Then, as the special treatments begin to wear off, the plants become leggier, a bit gangly, not so 'purty'. But they always retain their fleshy, thick leaves with scalloped edges.

As I've said before, I'm guessing that somewhere along the line...a jade has been confused with a Kalanchoe. It's sure not the first time that that has ever happened!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kalanchoe?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    11 years ago

Hmmm, it looks like a bunch of the posts have been somewhat randomly stripped from this thread, but, to summarize some of what was said (maybe in a more understandable way, for some), two plants just plain don't somehow grow together to form an entirely unrelated species any more than two animal (say a dog and a cat) could grow together and form a third species (a bear, for instance). It's just not how things works.

There are such things as graft chimera, but this is absolutely not that phenomenon.

Sponsored
More Discussions