Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baci_gw

jade plant registration

baci
17 years ago

Does anyone know the source to contact for registration of a hybrid crassula ovata species?

Thanks for any input.

Comments (2)

• TonyfromOz
    17 years ago

What you want to find depends on whether you want to make your fortune from selling your new plant, or merely to achieve recognition of whatever name you choose.

If the former, you will need to go down the path of plant patents (Plant Variety Rights or Plant Breeders' Rights in other countries), which is likely to be expensive. I know very little about the US system, but if you do a Google on "plant patents" you will get a wealth of information from the first few results.

But if you only want to name your newly bred cultivar (for that is what it will be, with all cutting-grown progeny taking the name), then it is usual to submit it to the appropriate International Cultivar Registration Authority. A list of all ICRAs is available via the webpage linked below.

Unfortunately it appears that there is no ICRA coving the genus Crassula! In such cases I think the International Code of Nomenclature for Cultivated Plants allows a name to be established by publication in a journal or nursery catalogue. But I really don't know if such a provision remains in the current edition, which at 55 Euros I can't afford to buy, and which unlike the Code of Botanical Nomenclature is not available online

Here is a link that might be useful: ICRAs

• baci
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you so very much, tonyfromoz, for the information you provided. I was having no success with my net search or getting information from organizations on this plant.
    Plant patents are expensive, but in the US the cost could be offset by sales of the progeny. I have just started researching, but it looks like each patent requires a fee; multiple plants can not be combined under the same patent. The filing process seems pretty straightforward.
    Again, thank you very, very much for your post. You succinctly answered the questions I needed to know & did not ask. It will take time to sort out the details, but you pointed me to credible sources & directly where I needed to go. I do not like junk internet writing & you helped steer me away from that.

Sponsored
More Discussions