Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
jade plant registration

Posted by baci z10Ca (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 5, 06 at 7:36

Does anyone know the source to contact for registration of a hybrid crassula ovata species?

Thanks for any input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: jade plant registration

What you want to find depends on whether you want to make your fortune from selling your new plant, or merely to achieve recognition of whatever name you choose.

If the former, you will need to go down the path of plant patents (Plant Variety Rights or Plant Breeders' Rights in other countries), which is likely to be expensive. I know very little about the US system, but if you do a Google on "plant patents" you will get a wealth of information from the first few results.

But if you only want to name your newly bred cultivar (for that is what it will be, with all cutting-grown progeny taking the name), then it is usual to submit it to the appropriate International Cultivar Registration Authority. A list of all ICRAs is available via the webpage linked below.

Unfortunately it appears that there is no ICRA coving the genus Crassula! In such cases I think the International Code of Nomenclature for Cultivated Plants allows a name to be established by publication in a journal or nursery catalogue. But I really don't know if such a provision remains in the current edition, which at 55 Euros I can't afford to buy, and which unlike the Code of Botanical Nomenclature is not available online

Here is a link that might be useful: ICRAs

o
RE: jade plant registration

• Posted by baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 7, 06 at 6:00

Thank you so very much, tonyfromoz, for the information you provided. I was having no success with my net search or getting information from organizations on this plant.
Plant patents are expensive, but in the US the cost could be offset by sales of the progeny. I have just started researching, but it looks like each patent requires a fee; multiple plants can not be combined under the same patent. The filing process seems pretty straightforward.
Again, thank you very, very much for your post. You succinctly answered the questions I needed to know & did not ask. It will take time to sort out the details, but you pointed me to credible sources & directly where I needed to go. I do not like junk internet writing & you helped steer me away from that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here