Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Colombia Plant Help Please

Posted by pitter_2006 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 18, 06 at 10:53

Can anyone help with identification of these flowering plants? The first one is a small tree. The second one seems to be kind of a vine. I suspect both are native but not 100% sure. They are both photographed at 7000' in premontane wet forest above Cali, Colombia.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/Pitter/Jardines Casa/P1010002-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/Pitter/Jardines Casa/alternate.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Colombia Plant Help Please

Doubt if I could help id them but I can load up the images here for you.

and

o

Thank you very much. I didn't know how to do that.

o

How I would love to spend some time in those montane forests of Colombia! I stayed 3 days in some at over 10,000 ft in Costa Rica 5 years ago, and that was magical. I guess you are well aware that these are among the world's biodiversity hotspots, and the great majority of plants from them will be quite unknown to gardening people.

The flowers in your first pic look very like Calliandra, which has around 200 species in the Americas. But the leaves look like they are from an unrelated plant. Calliandras all have compound leaves, basically bipinnate but sometimes reduced to very few leaflets. The leaves give some of the best clues to identification.

Your second pic is of one of the neotropical-montane genera of Ericaceae. Try a Google image search on Cavendishia.

Once the possibilities have been narrowed down, I find the Missouri BG's W3TROPICOS database very useful for researching neotropical plants. You can look at all the botanical collections cited and find the ones that have been collected from the area and habitat you have visited. Its weaknesses include a failure to distinguish between native, naturalised and cultivated status, and lack of facility to search by region or family.

o

Thank you so much. You've given some excelent leads. I got fairly close with the google image search of Cavandishia.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here