Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Morning Glory grown in a pot ?

Posted by austinf Zone 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 7, 11 at 13:46

Hi, I planted morning glory from seed in a small pot filled with potting soil at the beginning of spring. They came up about 3-4 weeks later and started growing more leaves. Now they seem to have stopped growing, and the bottom leaves shaped sort of like a butterfly are turning yellow and getting smaller.

I think I might have planted too many seeds? If so, what should I do? It has also been raining a lot recently and the pot is outside.
I was hoping to produce blooms from these, so I hope they can continue to grow!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Morning Glory grown in a pot ?

Not enough information provided to be able to answer. How a big a pot, how many seeds, what kind of potting medium, how was it watered.....only rain water?

o

Improper soil moisture (not always easy to judge from the surface) is the most likely cause. Keep a closer eye (or finger) out for moisture levels.

But as GG suggested, it's hard to know for sure without more info (or being there in person).

o

I was going to grow these in the next day or two myself. Suggestions for potting medium??

o

alaMel,

There are as many answers to that as there are answerers. Even variables like your climate and how often you plan to water will play a part in determining which mixes would work best. I'd recommend doing some reading over at the Container Gardening forum. Al's mixes may be a little overboard for growing Morning Glories, but the thread is just packed with useful info that can help you make better decisions on potting mediums (see link below).

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils - Water Movement & Retention

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here