Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chitosan

Posted by struwwelpeter 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 7, 09 at 14:14

Please, share your experiences. I have none to share.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chitosan

My experience is from someone who actually developed
Chitosan. He saw the anti-fungal properties (Developed
from Blue Crab Shells) as way of making fungicide applications safer.There were more positive aspects
to this.Enhanced plant growth better ability to fight
off pathogens etc... Don't know that it ever took off
in the retail Market though.
Art

o

Thank you.

A patented, allegedly low molecular weight version is being marketed here:

http://www.biocontrols.com/secure/shop/item.asp?itemid=16

The problem is that the horticultural market is rife with the proverbial snake oil salesmen and patents often don't work. The claims made for chitosan are similar to those made for Messenger, but, at least Messenger doesn't cost $99.99 to evaluate. Pricing at $99.99 instead of $100 suggests that they are trying to market to suckers.

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 11, 09 at 16:48

Dang!!! I think the likelihood of that product being 99.75% snakeoil (coincidentally, the same percentage as they list for other ingredients) is about 99.75%. LOL

But, I could be wrong.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here