Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
petals changing colour.

Posted by jorics NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 22, 09 at 16:40

I'm not the worlds best gardener. I plant.. things grow. I have several bush roses in my garden, and a couple of climbers that are doing well.

However, a work colleague of mine asked for my advice and described an oddity with her roses. She has plants that she planted 5 yrs ago, which produced blooms that are Coral in colour. This year her blooms have produced red petals and she is wondering why. I was thinking maybe her bushes have reached a maturity and hence the change. Any help and suggestions would be quite welcome;

Joric

(she's not tech savvy thats why I'm using the net)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: petals changing colour.

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 23, 09 at 13:46

It sounds to me like maybe the rootstock (many/most roses are grafted) sprouted a sucker that your friend didn't remove. Ask her to trace the branch with the red bloom down to see if it originates below the graft. If so, she should probably remove that shoot. A sucker can overtake the grafted variety and, in some cases, cause graft failure with complete loss of the grafted variety.

o
RE: petals changing colour.

Thanks Brandon

sounds intresting... I'll have her investigate..

And will check mine as well.. :D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here