Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
howardmcpherson

Plant identification

HowardMcPherson
18 years ago

For many years I have had a small plant growing in the yard which the neighbors call "bluebells." The plant is about 6 inches tall with many small blue bell-shape flowers which are less than 0.25 inch and point downward. The flower appears each year BEFORE all the snow in gone. The whole plant is cone shaped. After awhile the leaves are like grass (10 to 15 leaves which are about 6-8 inches long), that is, there are no broad leaves. The plant has a bulb of about 1 inch diameter. The plant has formed seeds in the last 10 days. The seed pod consists of three sections, is off-white, and has two black seeds (abnout 1/8 inch in diameter) in each of the sections. Each year the plant has spread. It is growing in poor soil. There are a lot of plant photographs on the internet but the plant does not correspond to the English bluebells, or Virgina bellflowers or any other photographs found by search google with the topics "bluebells,", "small blue bulb plants," "blue flowers" or something similar. . These types of plants have medium size flowers, broad leaves, and the flowers point upward or to the side.I have not been able to find my unknown plant on a list of Ohio native plants. Does anyone have any ideas what this plant might be? I will have to take a picture of it next year. Thank you.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions