Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chlorosis

Posted by yiorges-z5il (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 17, 10 at 18:10

I have both a pin oak & river birch with this problem, Chlorosis (Iron deficiency)

1) The illinois soil has a good supply of iron (FeSO4) but the soil pH is 6.8 For the iron to be utilized by these trees the pH needs to be 5.5

2) I wanted to use sulfur to lower the pH but the directions say to "mix the sulfur in the top 6 inches of soil".

3) these trees are in an established lawn and the trees have a caliper of 20 inches or more

4) HOW can I incorpoirate the sulfur under these conditions?

5) There was a sugestion that if the soil pH was lowered more than 1 point it would result in tieing up nitrogen & iron ect.... is this so?

6) tried to contact the supplier of the sulfer (Fertilome) several days ago but no response.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chlorosis

Here is an article that might answer your questions. In the short term you might try a foliar spray that contains chelated iron to help the trees. Any acidic fertilizer like Mir-Acid should do the trick, but those aren't recommended for long term use since they usually contain aluminum sulfate.

I used to live in northern IL and Pin Oak is notorious for doing poorly up there. A good substitute if you ever plant any new trees is Hill's Oak (Quercus ellipsoidalis) and a good substitute for Red Maple is Freeman Maple (Acer x fremanii). I am surprised the River Birch is chlorotic as I have seen many large, healthy specimens growing in the northern parts of IL.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iron Chlorosis

o
RE: chlorosis

I must assume you have already studied the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign article on chlorosis. I only mention it just on the off chance it was overlooked since you did not mention how you ruled out magnesium and zinc deficiencies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here