Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when is pollen viable...morning, evening, both?

Posted by jbclem z9b Topanga, Ca (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 22:04

I've been hand pollinating some fruit trees this year, there haven't been that many bees around and some trees(pear, feijoa) don't attract them anyway. But I usually only have time to do this in the late afternoon and evening. I don't know if this is a waste of time and instead should always be done in the mornings or midday.

How I can tell when the pollen is viable and ready to go. I'm sure it varies with the type of tree but is there a standard way to tell if the pollen is ready...I have a good hand magnifier/microscope so I can look closely at the pollen if that's necessary.

Along the same line, can the stigma still be receptive after the pollen (on that particular flower) has turned brown and dried up? When hand pollinating, I notice the stigmas are straight and strong looking (feijoa=pineapple guava in this case) for a while after the stamen(s) has dropped off. Does this mean anything from a pollination point of view?

It would be nice to hear any kind of information about this.

John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when is pollen viable...morning, evening, both?

John, you'll get much more input in the Fruits and Orchards Forum. I just wanted to point you to a more productive forum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here