Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would hybridization occur naturally? (native & non-native; e/w)

Posted by njbiology Zone 7(/6b); NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 31, 09 at 1:16

Hi,

I'm interested learning which groups of fruits & nuts would/would not naturally hybridize - perhaps due to synchronicity/non-synchronicity of flowering; also to know when hybridization occurs, is the seed of the resulting hybrid viable or non-viable.

1. Native X European Plums?
2. Native X European currants/gooseberries?
3. Native X European Cherries?
4. Native X Asian Persimmon (flowers may sometimes align, I've observed; maybe hybrids like 'Rosseyanka', etc. are not able to produce viable seed; but I doubt that since I think there exist hybrids that were subsequently crossed once again back to one of either parents - such as 'Prok'/'Korp'
5. Native X European Mountain-Ash

Again, do these types flower coincidentally and is the seed that is produced viable in each case? Of course, many pairings do (Native X Asian Mulberry, etc....)

Secondly, would a test field of say multiple US Native Vaccinium spp. (blueberry, huckleberry, deerberry, bilberry types) hybridize?

Vaccinium cespitosum - Bilberry, Dwarf
Vaccinium myrtillus - Whortleberry; Bilberry, Common
Vaccinium ovatum - Huckleberry, California/Evergreen
Vaccinium augustifolia - Blueberry, Low-bush
Vaccinium corymbosum - Blueberry, Northern High-bush
Vaccinium (?spp.) - Blueberry, Southern High-bush
Vaccinium stamineum - Deerberry
Vaccinium uliginosum L. - Blueberry, Mountain/Bog
Gaylussacia baccata Huckleberry, Black/Dwarf/Box

Thanks,
Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would hybridization occur naturally? (native & non-native; e/

Good question. Kiwinut's answer (on a duplicate post in the Fruit and Orchards Forum) was very impressive. He should check in here every once in a while. His answers seemed to make sense and I know at least some to be correct, so I'd bet they are probably all correct.

Here is a link that might be useful: For some answers, look here.

o

"Native X European"

From my perspective, that is of course native native . . . you need to clarify your terms!

Resin

o

I don't understand...

for instance Prunus serotina (a North American tree) x Prunus avium L. (a Eurasian cultivated tree); or Prunus americana (a North American shrub-tree) x Prunus domestica (European)...

o

I could take a native tree (say, Prunus avium), and hybridise it with a European tree (say, Prunus avium) . . . ;-)

Resin

o
RE: Would hybridisation occur naturally? (native & non-native; e/

To take out the location-loaded terms 'native' and 'cultivated', I think what you're trying to ask is, "can hybrids occur between species from different continents"; the answer is yes, provided the species are closely related enough. There are plenty of examples. In Prunus, the hybrid between P. avium (Europe) and P. emarginata (N America) is known, recently named Prunus pugetensis. I'd doubt that P. serotina could cross with P. avium though, as they are in different sections of the genus (sect. Padus, and sect. Cerasus, respectively).

Resin

o

I get what you were saying (native...vs cultivated) - I had a feeling about that one.

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 10, 09 at 14:45

NJ,

I think what he's saying is that what's native to you is not the same as what's native to him. You could replace the word "native" with "American" (or where ever the plant in question is native to) for more clarity.

You know those darned Europeans. They still don't realize that the world revolves around the US! Look at 'em still trying to use metric and speaking all those foreign languages. (-;

o

lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here