Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinarodley

Study Notes and/or Hort. Books

tinarodley
19 years ago

Hi, my name is Tina and I am studying Horticulture (Nursery) at Ourimbah Campus. I am desperately after study notes, books, anything to buy or borrow.

Comments (8)

• The_Mohave__Kid
    19 years ago

Have you checked a library ??

"Hortus Third" would be helpful and a must reference for your area of interest.

Good Day ...

• quercus01
    19 years ago

two reference books that i have and that i think are good, are "Botanica" I picked this up at Barnes and Noble I think...and there was another good one that is the American Horticultural Society's A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants. They contain a lot of good information, especially the American one, since this one has stuff that is more pertinent to plants that are grown in America. Botanica has prettier pictures but the info. isn't as good. They basically give some good descriptions and photos of plants, but if you are looking for something that is more specific to a particular group of plants then it might be better to get some books that are a little more in depth. Libraries are really good places to check out too, like Mohave Kid said. Good luck.

Alex

• froggy
    19 years ago

if i hadda have only 2 books for 'studying Horticulture (Nursery) at Ourimbah Campus.' ?

Hortus 3
    & Plant Propagation by American Horticultural Society

and maybe more importantly, i would spend my summers in the fields and winters in the greenhouses.

froggy

• Josh
    19 years ago

Tina, There are sites online which list most any book, used, at fair prices. I've linked one below.

Is there no college bookstore with used textbooks? One of your professors or fellow students might could advise where best deals are..even the college or local library should be able to help. Any college town should have a bookstore selling used books...if you leave a "want list" they'll be able to find good prices from fellow booksellers for you.

Good luck. If I ever have to move house I'm going to have to get rid of one wall full at least! We have a Botanic Garden I'll donate to...is there one nearby you could visit? josh

Here is a link that might be useful: ABCBooks.com

• chaman
    19 years ago

Secrets of Plant Propagation by Lewis Hill and Herbs by Lesley Bremness are good books for Gardeners and Horticulturists.

chiman

• Thirsty_Houstonian
    19 years ago

Over here, there is an internet hypertextbook on botany. Unfortunately, not all of it has been translated from the German language it was originally in. Still interesting, though.

• catalina_101
    19 years ago

Tina--Are there not required and recommended coursebooks? I've never heard of a university program that doesn't tell you which books to use. Maybe talk to your profs.

• dave_worden
    19 years ago

Around the world reference referral: When I was stationed at Woomera some time ago, I was fortunate enough to be able to visit the Cleland Wildlife Reserve in Adelaide. One of the things that impressed me most were the AVID gardeners who gathered there to visit and took notes. Mostly Aussies. Perhaps you can contact the Reserve and they can put you in contact with some of those folks through their clubs. The flora in your part of the world to include The Great Victoria Desert is utterly remarkable. Folks seemed to take notes and record things like a lot of America does with baseball. In your case, sometimes "unpublished" works could be the most illuminating.
    Good hunting!
    Dave

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions