Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spike_gw

Welcome!

-spike-
19 years ago

I hope there is enough interest to to make this a popular forum! So what genera have been placed in a new family today? ;-)

Comments (19)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    19 years ago

Wow. Thanks Spike!! I expect I'll lurk here alot just to find out the latest goings on in the plant world. :-D

• evaAC
    19 years ago

Very cool, I am going to be teaching Botany in a few years, I can come here and ask questions so I don't look like a ding-a-ling in front of my students!! (High school, they can be so evil)

Eva

• The_Mohave__Kid
    19 years ago

I'll contribute what I can ... great idea.

Good Day ...

• chaman
    19 years ago

Wish came true. I am glad that GW opened this new forum.This will give us opportunity to understand the scientific facts about plants and their use as vegetables,
    which in turn will help us growing healthy vegetables to harvest rich crops.
    Thanks a lot.

chiman

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    19 years ago

Thanks, Spike. You're the best.

Al

• ecobotanist
    19 years ago

I am looking forward to this! I am curious whether you use a specific botanical system of classification and nomenclature? I rely on Cronquist; as he wrote it. Alas, there are other versions out there that took liberties with his system (for example, Hickman et al). In the last 20 years, the Cronquist system has become the standard; but, of course, herbaria and botanical gardens tend to still rely on older works. To add to the confusion, hosticulturalists often use a different approach. I am certain that we will encounter some of these issues here. Best wishes!

• miac23
    19 years ago

OH!! I am so happy. Botany was my favorite subject in high school and in college. I'm sure I will be spending way too much time here. :-) Thank you Spike!
    Mia

• agnellok
    19 years ago

Good choice !!!
    I'm taking the Master Gardener classes in the fall.I'm sure I'll be asking alot of questions.
    Karen

• Trygrower
    19 years ago

Thanks for the welcome. How big a subject is botany?? Answer: It is a very big subject. Let's start out with crapemyrtles (one word). Call them Lagerstroemia indica if you wish, but please don't call them "crepe myrtles." Let the French keep their crepes suzette, and we our lovely crapemyrtles. They are in gorgeous bloom right now, and are such a gift to the landscape!

• shelley_r
    19 years ago

What a wonderful surprise to see this new forum. I've recently realized that I have to learn some botany in order to identify plants. Can you believe that I was a natural sciences major in college, and was certified to teach biology in grades 7-12, and I had NO botany courses. Thanks for the opportunity to catch up. I'll be here every morning with my coffee before work.

Shelley

• Rosa
    19 years ago

Wow and Thanks Spike!!
    My favorite subject.
    I too will contribute when I can.

• suzi7
    19 years ago

this is great, i'm planning on getting certificate on either master gardener or horiculture following season. this is gonna be good!

• froggy
    19 years ago

YEHAA botany chat...

im a botanist by training and a gardner by choice.

froggy

• quercus01
    19 years ago

hey, so this forum was just added? i'm hoping there will be some botanists on here that i can learn from!!!

Alex

• foxykitten350234
    19 years ago

Thanks Spike!
    Foxy.

• cjlambert
    19 years ago

This is great! I have just enough botanical training to be dangerous, but it gave me a desire to know everything I can about the plants around me. If they could walk, they would rule the world. Where would we be without them??

Thanks Spike!

• marilou
    19 years ago

I took Master Gardener classes last year and wondered at the time just how big botany was as a field of study. Now I get to find out! Thanks, Spike!

• gardengardengardenga
    19 years ago

Thank you Spike...I new hang out for me!

• catalina_101
    19 years ago

I've been waiting for this forever!

I'm two courses away from my undergrad degree in botany. My experience has been in genetic-y areas, taxonomy, non-vascular plant ID and physiology, as well as vasc. physiology.

Thanks spike!

Sponsored
More Discussions