Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Welcome!

Posted by Spike z5 MA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 16, 04 at 11:04

I hope there is enough interest to to make this a popular forum! So what genera have been placed in a new family today? ;-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Welcome!

Wow. Thanks Spike!! I expect I'll lurk here alot just to find out the latest goings on in the plant world. :-D

o

Very cool, I am going to be teaching Botany in a few years, I can come here and ask questions so I don't look like a ding-a-ling in front of my students!! (High school, they can be so evil)

Eva

o

I'll contribute what I can ... great idea.

Good Day ...

o

• Posted by chaman U S east coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 16, 04 at 15:26

Wish came true. I am glad that GW opened this new forum.This will give us opportunity to understand the scientific facts about plants and their use as vegetables,
which in turn will help us growing healthy vegetables to harvest rich crops.
Thanks a lot.

chiman

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 16, 04 at 16:33

Thanks, Spike. You're the best.

Al

o

I am looking forward to this! I am curious whether you use a specific botanical system of classification and nomenclature? I rely on Cronquist; as he wrote it. Alas, there are other versions out there that took liberties with his system (for example, Hickman et al). In the last 20 years, the Cronquist system has become the standard; but, of course, herbaria and botanical gardens tend to still rely on older works. To add to the confusion, hosticulturalists often use a different approach. I am certain that we will encounter some of these issues here. Best wishes!

o

OH!! I am so happy. Botany was my favorite subject in high school and in college. I'm sure I will be spending way too much time here. :-) Thank you Spike!
Mia

o

Good choice !!!
I'm taking the Master Gardener classes in the fall.I'm sure I'll be asking alot of questions.
Karen

o

Thanks for the welcome. How big a subject is botany?? Answer: It is a very big subject. Let's start out with crapemyrtles (one word). Call them Lagerstroemia indica if you wish, but please don't call them "crepe myrtles." Let the French keep their crepes suzette, and we our lovely crapemyrtles. They are in gorgeous bloom right now, and are such a gift to the landscape!

o

What a wonderful surprise to see this new forum. I've recently realized that I have to learn some botany in order to identify plants. Can you believe that I was a natural sciences major in college, and was certified to teach biology in grades 7-12, and I had NO botany courses. Thanks for the opportunity to catch up. I'll be here every morning with my coffee before work.

Shelley

o

• Posted by Rosa 4-ish (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 17, 04 at 11:13

Wow and Thanks Spike!!
My favorite subject.
I too will contribute when I can.

o

this is great, i'm planning on getting certificate on either master gardener or horiculture following season. this is gonna be good!

o

YEHAA botany chat...

im a botanist by training and a gardner by choice.

froggy

o

hey, so this forum was just added? i'm hoping there will be some botanists on here that i can learn from!!!

Alex

o

Thanks Spike!
Foxy.

o

This is great! I have just enough botanical training to be dangerous, but it gave me a desire to know everything I can about the plants around me. If they could walk, they would rule the world. Where would we be without them??

Thanks Spike!

o

I took Master Gardener classes last year and wondered at the time just how big botany was as a field of study. Now I get to find out! Thanks, Spike!

o

Thank you Spike...I new hang out for me!

o

I've been waiting for this forever!

I'm two courses away from my undergrad degree in botany. My experience has been in genetic-y areas, taxonomy, non-vascular plant ID and physiology, as well as vasc. physiology.

Thanks spike!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here