Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identifying unknown species

Posted by hgtvdream.com (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 10, 09 at 13:54

I have little background in botany, and I'm trying to identify every plant species in the few miles around where I live (in Massachusetts, if that helps). I'm still struggling to find a way to find the proper names for plants based on their characteristics. I've taken a couple of samples but can't find a resource which will help me narrow down what they could be based on their traits. Can someone help me out here?

I'm starting with the plants growing through our gravel driveway, but will soon move on to bushes and flowers and mushrooms and ferns and trees etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identifying unknown species

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 10, 09 at 15:18

What you need are plant keys. It may not be easy to ID stuff where there's no starting point (you have absolutely no idea what it is). Many plant keys assume that you at least know the genus you are working with. A number of groups are working on universal random-access keys, but no one has yet completed such a wonderful resource.

There are all kinds of keys available on the internet. Unfortunately, all seem to have some drawbacks. eFloras is one of the better keys, but has the disadvantage of currently focusing more on foreign (especially Asian) species. It's still the one I'd choose if I had to stick with just one set of keys. It takes a little getting used to; it's sometimes a little hard to navigate.

There are also many keys that address certain types of plants. The National Arborday Foundation has a simplistic tree key. It's good for common trees. There are also many many other generic and regional (state, county, etc) tree keys out there.

You can also find many lawn weed keys. Here's one link that list quite a few of them: http://www.garden-counselor-lawn-care.com/identify-lawn-weeds.html

For wildflowers, check for a wildflower key. Again, something specific to your area might be much easier to use by eliminating lots of searching through plants you are not likely to encounter.

The Massachusetts Invasive Plant Advisory Group has a list of many commonly seen (because they are invasives or potentially invasive) plants in your state. Just familiarizing yourself with them could be a source of lots of IDs.

Another resource is the Gardenweb "Name That Plant!" Forum and other forums specific to various types of plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here