Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmorsanchez

Root Depth

cmorsanchez
18 years ago

I am searching for a list of plants, edible and landscape, that has ROOT DEPTH information per plant. Please point me in the right direction, I've had no luck searching the web. Specifically looking for plants that have maximum root depth of two feet or less. Thanks.

Sincerely,

cmorsanchez

Comments (4)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    18 years ago

Highly unlikely you'll find such a data base. Root depth depends more on cultural conditions (soil type, rainfall, water table, soil aeration/compaction etc.) than it does on genus/species.

E.g. - I have a sugar maple growing on a hill in sandy loam at my home. I have encountered roots while digging post holes at deeper than 40". I owned wooded recreational property that had more than 7 feet of peat moss as soil. The same species of tree there has roots that do not penetrate the soil more than an inch or so because of saturated conditions/lack of aeration.

Al

• just_curious
    18 years ago

You might try the cranberry industry.
    Short root length, 6" or less and, lots of research done over the years.
    Why are you asking this?

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    18 years ago

Not exactly a data base but some university somewhere had a site with the results of studies on the [? maximum] roots of several food plants. I will try and find it again.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    18 years ago

The link below may be what I was thinking about. Root Development of Vegetable Plants, a book by a couple of people at the University of Nebraska. It appears the whole book may be online.

Here is a link that might be useful: Root Development of Vegetable Plants

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz
More Discussions